• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

(Litchfield and Canton, Connecticut, USA) Unknown bird calls (1 Viewer)

Parrots

United States
Heard from the shore of a lake, most likely in trees:

Small finch-like bird flyovers -- this site is popular with migrating finches, e.g. Red Crossbills:

Different call, heard last week, 8 or so small birds:

Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:
Recording 1 is a Blue Jay, and Recording 4 is too faint to be confident about, although I’m getting either Horned Lark or Tree Sparrow vibes. I agree that Recordings 2 and 3 are Red Crossbill.

Thanks! Hadn't associated the first call with a Blue Jay before, but after your post I noticed it again this week. Ran into a couple sounds today that I wasn't sure about:

Wooded forest near a reservoir, noticed finch silhouettes in a tree around the time of the first call (but they could've been goldfinches, which I heard after this).

.... Ran into a couple sounds today that I wasn't sure about:

Wooded forest near a reservoir, noticed finch silhouettes in a tree around the time of the first call (but they could've been goldfinches, which I heard after this).
The first one, if it was over here, my immediate reaction would be [Eurasian] Nuthatch. So check out White-breasted Nuthatch, and Red-breasted too, to see if either of them is your bird.

No idea with the 2nd!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back