• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Literature needed for hybrid ID (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

Hi all,
I am sorry to bother you with this, but don´t know anyone who has a copy:
for hybrid ID I need

Tipling, D. 1989. Gadwall × Chiloe Wigeon hybrid resembling American Wigeon. Birding world 2: 10

It would be great if anybody could send me a pdf?

MJB

Hi all,
I am sorry to bother you with this, but don´t know anyone who has a copy:
for hybrid ID I need

Tipling, D. 1989. Gadwall × Chiloe Wigeon hybrid resembling American Wigeon. Birding world 2: 10

It would be great if anybody could send me a pdf?
You can contact David Tipling via his website: davidtipling dot com... (He lives about 200 metres from me)
MJB

Joern Lehmhus

Thanks to Steve Gantlett at Birding World I now know it was not a full article but a black and white photo by David Tipling, The photo shows two hybrids of which the male looks very close to a bird from the Netherlands, which I can only see as a Gadwall x Chiloe wigeon . As that Netherlands bird was not a captive bird, the parentage there is also unproven, but it must have a gadwall and a wigeon species parent, and there are known gadwall x eurasian wigeon and known gadwall x american wigeon with certain parentage from captivity and those differ in several features (but share some others with the male bird in question) , we can be fairly sure that suspected parentage was correct in that case- and also in this old case here...

here are the photos from the Netherlands:

Users who are viewing this thread