• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Egret or hybrid (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
This bird is from Barbados where Snowy are more common than Little Egret, but you can find Little egret just about any day of the year if you put in the work. This one has the neck plumes of an adult little in breeding plumage but has some yellow on the lores. This looks less orange-yellow than lores on the snowys usually do here, however, I usually see the LiEg with bluish lores. Is this within variation for a little or is it a hybrid? Is it possibly a bird getting into high breeding where LiEg does change lore color?

thanks
Niels

Egret question P1170899.jpg

Niels, your bird resembles the illustration of Little Egret in the 6th edition of the National Geographic field guide. With the two head plumes, it is certainly not a Snowy Egret.

Thanks both. I also noticed the text in the NatGeo FG stating that the lores are more likely to be yellow in breeding plumage, which is now.

I also looked through two pages worth of birdforum gallery images of little egret. I saw several images that were similar enough that I feel my image shows a bird within the variation. Given that the lores were my only reason for pause, I am going with Little Egret for this bird.
Niels

For comparison, here is a photo from March this year with several little egret. The third bird from the right is either a snowy or a hybrid, I am not positive.

Nielsegrets P1170533.jpg

Maybe I should add: You would only expect hybrids to form where both species occur together. They do that in Barbados, Antigua and possibly a couple of other islands in the Caribbean, and to the best of my knowledge, nowhere else with any regularity. So hybrids are less well characterized.

Niels

Maybe I should add: You would only expect hybrids to form where both species occur together. They do that in Barbados, Antigua and possibly a couple of other islands in the Caribbean, and to the best of my knowledge, nowhere else with any regularity. So hybrids are less well characterized.

Niels
And beyond the species overlap, the Little Egret population in Barbados, though documented to breed, still has a population bottleneck as it's non-contiguous with the global breeding population of the species.

I have no idea if accurate or not, but a quick web search suggested 46 or so Little Egrets on Barbados. That increases the chances of an edge case where a bird won't find a mate without looking for one among a locally more populous species that is a close genetic relative.

And if you don't like that idea, don't look at Homo sapiens' genome which provides evidence of hybridisation with near-human species.

I believe they are pretty rare but cannot put a number on it. There is one or two blog entries by Sibley on the topic with this being one:
Thanks for the links. Sounds like little egret could be poised to colonise the Americas!

(Was a genuine question. I'm interested in how distinct things like this species pair are and hybridisation is one measure of that.)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back