• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Egret? (1 Viewer)

Fali

India
I spotted this bird from my window a couple of days ago. It was identical to a Little Egret in all respects, except that instead of the usual bright white colour, it was a very dark grey (almost black), with a small patch of white under the chin. I could not spot any distinguishing features that might point to another species, so was wondering whether this might be a case of melanism or a genetic mutation or disorder. Would appreciate any guidance.

Attachments

• Little Egret?.jpg
    Little Egret?.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 66
Hello.
In order to answer your query it's necessary to know the location. Providing the date is also helpful.

Hi Fali and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

If the photo was taken on or very near the coast in India, it's a reef heron.
Sorry, forgot to mention location was Mumbai coast. I did think it was a Reef Heron to start with, but photos online show birds with yellow legs and / or yellow bill (at least the tip), whereas this bird was all black except for the feet. Many thanks for the ID.

The jet black legs and dark grey bill are puzzling nevertheless. I forgot to mention the bird was in a flock of white Little Egrets, commonly seen around Mumbai coastline.

Just checked and WFH is not in range so probably not one of those..............

cheers alan

I would have thought Western Reef Egret with that white throat like that, but a hybrid might be a possibility also

Reef heron has a white throat. Herons' bare-part colours do all sorts of things.
Perfectly normal reef heron - no need to postulate hybridization.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back