• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Little Gulls? (English Channel, 5th of May 2019) (1 Viewer)

Frank-birding

Frank van de Velde
Supporter
Last year when crossing the Channel on a Ferry I accidentally photographed these two small birds, while taking pictures of Gannets. As they unexpectedly flew into my view, the images are not sharp unfortunately. My apologies.

Could these be Little Gulls? In the last picture it's possible to judge size somewhat. The first two images are crops of the two small birds at the top and the right side of the photo.

I (as an inexperienced observer) would say size and shape does approximately fit Little Gull. But they would have to be in winter plumage and immature (2nd winter according to collins), for they have very light underwings and obviously no black head. These pictures were taken on the 5th of May though. So Little Gull doesn't seem that likely.

Frank

Attachments

• 20190505-154926_Fuji-X-T2__DSF9642_Dwergmeeuw_1.jpg
    20190505-154926_Fuji-X-T2__DSF9642_Dwergmeeuw_1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 20190505-154926_Fuji-X-T2__DSF9642_Dwergmeeuw_2.jpg
    20190505-154926_Fuji-X-T2__DSF9642_Dwergmeeuw_2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 20190505-154926_Fuji-X-T2__DSF9642.jpg
    20190505-154926_Fuji-X-T2__DSF9642.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 121

dantheman

Bah humbug
Agree with Kittiwake. You can even make out the yellow bill in the first, dark collar in the second, and dark wingtips.

dantheman

Bah humbug
I'd say the bill is dark, Dan.

Interesting. Had another look, and still looks yellow to me. (Pale at the least, and colour could be an illusion of surrounding colours). Can't really tell the bill on the second bird.

Hopefully doesn't change the id though :-O

RafaelMatias

Unknown member
Portugal
I'd say an adult in pic 1 and 1cy in pic 2.

Yes, I think you're right. I assumed birds in pics 1 and 2 were the same and that pic 2 was just showing the features better. Agree on 2 birds (the same 2 birds of pic 3, I assume) and on suggested ages.

EDIT: that'll teach me to read the 1st post properly! It was stated there already! Sorry....

dantheman

Bah humbug
I thought it was clear from the OP 2nd paragraph that the two birds in pic 1 and pic 2 respectively were crops from the larger pic 3. Hence my comments.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
and an adult in the foreground of pic 3, with 1w in the rear - so a mix of bill colour ;)

I realise now having read the first post that the birds in image 3 are the same individuals in image 1 and 2 -that Steve was referring to - still clearly two age groups here as can be seen very clearly in the uncropped image in 3.

RafaelMatias

Unknown member
Portugal
I realise now having read the first post that the birds in image 3 are the same individuals in image 1 and 2 -that Steve was referring to - still clearly two age groups here as can be seen very clearly in the uncropped image in 3.
I'm glad it wasn't only me :king:

dantheman

Bah humbug
Lol. Glad I'm not going mad, and I'll take the win (doesn't happen too often.)

;)

Cape Gannet and YL Gull ruled out for the other birds in pic?!

RafaelMatias

Unknown member
Portugal
Again with apologies to Frank and the other posters, the immature bird is in its 2nd year of life (or 2nd calendar-year), a bird that fledged on the previous year (thus a "1st winter" going to "1st summer").

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Again with apologies to Frank and the other posters, the immature bird is in its 2nd year of life (or 2nd calendar-year), a bird that fledged on the previous year (thus a "1st winter" going to "1st summer").

:-O Not only did I not read the OP post the first time, but failed to read it properly the second time.

Images taken in May so obviously 2cy for the immature bird - but still in 1w plumage as I said (almost :king:)

(This really is getting to be hard work - it’s late - apologies to Frank for the messy responses)

(btw - 1w->1s look more or less like 1s-2w, except the bill starts to turn from black to dull greenish yellow https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/Stock-Images/Rights-Managed/AIK-BSM1129/1

Last edited:

KM1

With apologies for not carrying on with the giddy tone of previous postings ;).... but on the basis of wing-tip pattern and hint of a smudge on the ear-coverts, both Kittiwakes have to be the same age, 2nd cal-year birds...

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
With apologies for not carrying on with the giddy tone of previous postings ;).... but on the basis of wing-tip pattern and hint of a smudge on the ear-coverts, both Kittiwakes have to be the same age, 2nd cal-year birds...

That’s gone and put a cat amongst the Kitties ;)

- I guess by this reasoning, wingtips aside, an adult would be out of winter plumage by May? Trying to see the wing pattern in the OP images is really hard:

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=11501
2cy
http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=11674

I suppose when you compare the really obvious black tips to the primaries of the Gannet and HGs, any solid black wingtips on the Kitties if they were there, should have been obvious I guess.

Last edited:

Frank-birding

Frank van de Velde
Supporter
Thank you all for the great help in identifying 'my' gulls! And as always, I learned lots of new information along the way.

Regards, Frank

SteveClifton

Thank you all for the great help in identifying 'my' gulls! And as always, I learned lots of new information along the way.

Regards, Frank

I also learned that to read the thread title is very important too! I must admit I assumed the images were taken recently!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread