• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Little ringed plover in S Thailand? (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, these photos (all of the same bird) were taken on December 15 around noon at the Hat Yai Water Treatment Plant area in Hat Yai, Southern Thailand. I believe it is a little ringed plover but in some photos the leg colour seems odd to me. I did notice in photos that birds in non-breeding plumage do not show much of an eye ring or eyebrow stripe. And the breast band does seem narrower in the center than at the sides. Little ringed plover is the only plover that looks somewhat like this that has been recorded in Songkhla Province but as it is a first time for me with this species I am hoping to receive confirmation or correction from the more knowledgeable people on here:)
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_fbe.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_fbe.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • fullsizeoutput_fbf.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_fbf.jpeg
    913.8 KB · Views: 26
  • fullsizeoutput_fc1.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_fc1.jpeg
    830 KB · Views: 25
  • fullsizeoutput_f7c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_f7c.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • DSCN6846.JPG
    DSCN6846.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • DSCN6854.JPG
    DSCN6854.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
It looks fine for LRP, Steve. Yes, the eyeing is much less conspicuous in non-breeding plumage. The wide white collar, extensive breast band narrowing in the centre, generally plain dark upperparts and general structure all point to LRP.

Users who are viewing this thread