• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Tern?? Pera Marsh Algarve Portugal (1 Viewer)

Stranger

Confirmation (or not) please, Little Tern?, taken at Pera Marsh Algarve Portugal 10/10/2012

Attachments

• 364.jpg
    364.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 161
I think there are only one or two records for Arctic Tern at the site - please send photo to raridades(at)spea.pt

Sorry - meant to say send to noticiario (at) spea.pt. Arctic Tern is not a rarity in Portugal - but it is rare!

Last edited:
Everyone is sure this is a juv arctic just with that photo? Not easy for me. Short bill is typical of young juvenile (bill not yet fully grown). Do you have any other feature to exclude a Common Tern?

Everyone is sure this is a juv arctic just with that photo? Not easy for me. Short bill is typical of young juvenile (bill not yet fully grown). Do you have any other feature to exclude a Common Tern?

Valery.
3 more Photos may help

Attachments

• 304.jpg
    304.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 359.jpg
    359.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 365.jpg
    365.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 65
Actually Valéry I was not so sure myself! I was taking for granted that others were sure - to be honest I have never seen a sure-fire Arctic in Portugal - most are well offshore on passage. The last I saw well were in the UK when I was a teenager.

The first photo is complicated.

The new photo (just seen!) in flight shows clear features of an Arctic however so in the end.....

By the way, on the OP the long tail steamers reach well beyond the tail too.

One more comment I had meant to make...the bird is perched on the wooden rail of the main boardwalk at Lagoa dos Salgados - now, I have never seen a tern of any kind on there, never mind an Arctic. This location made me think that the bird was not well - or maybe that Arctics are more bold?

Oh and for God's sake sign the petition if you can....its at 17,000 signatures - 3,000 more and the Portuguese Government are obliged to take proper notice! http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Save_Salgados_a_unique_internationally_recognized_birding_sanctuary_from_being_destroyed/

Simon
The bird was diving and flying very well for a good spell before perching on the rail.
It did not appear to have any injuries at all and was very confiding,perching within a few feet of me.It did not seem to mind people passing by at all and when the breeze blew my `scope over it flinched but did`nt appear unduly concerned.
It continued flying and diving untill I left,but I did not see it catch anything.
It was not there when I revisited two days later.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back