• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Live web camera from a White Tailed Eagles nest near AAlesund, Norway (1 Viewer)

harald misund

http://www.smp.no/services/ornerede2008/viewer.asp?lang=1&viewertype=webtv

The eagles are very active building on the nest now. Normally they lay eggs between March 15th and 20th but many start earlier especially on the small islands near the coast.

Notice that they have stripped the bark of the small tree sticking out of the nest. They did this last year. It is very common for the eagles to do this. Some days before egg laying, they often overnight at nest.
I live in Bodø North in Norway, we have a lot of snow,but one pair I followed near my house are in the same stadium.

Last edited:
Well looks as if female is now incubating at least one egg. She appears to be on the nest all the time now, if so, hopefully the first chick will appear around 21-24 April. This is where it begins to get interesting!

Hei Deborah4
I also look often to Ålesund,you have seen the wind and snow take the female feather,be glad there are not any red Wing Tag so move a huge number, a question of ethic.
The Vest Coast around Ålesund have not so much in winter as North in Bodø where I live, but still many nest site is cowered with snow,-- and the incubating are well in schedule.
But many thing can heppend, it is a long way ahead.
I have followed a small group of 5 pair for over 30 year, and in only one year they all have young(2x5), normal 1 to 3 have succeeded. But all habitat have been occupied as long as folk living there could tell me.

Hilsen
Harald

Oh dear, snowing heavily onto nest but presume these beasties of the land of ancient fyords and glaciers know what they are doing laying eggs in blizzards!

''More moss please hubby!''

harald said:
I also look often to Ålesund,you have seen the wind and snow take the female feather,be glad there are not any red Wing Tag so move a huge number, a question of ethic.

we have a common mind on that issue Harald ;)

Last edited:
You should check it out right now 11:25 23/03/08 it's absolutely covered in SNOW,but she's still sitting tight,
Joe.

JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW, it's snowing so heavily up there just now,the snow has actually blocked the lens of the camera,you can't see a thing,just have to wait until it thaw's now,and that is not going to be anytime soon !!

Last edited:
Catkom3
Well the winter come late to Norway 22 March the coldest day so far, in Bodø the last days have been cold,-8/10 C (at Finse -33,3C) , and the pair near my house, have given up, and they last succeeded in 2000.
But in Ålesund there are not so cold, but have you seen how the eagle spreed the wing for holding the snow out of the nest? I have seen that before,and also with small young in nest at heavy rain. It seems to be a fine pair, they need to work hard both, and the male come also with a small cod to nest.

Harald

Last edited:
But in Ålesund there are not so cold, but have you seen how the eagle spreed the wing for holding the snow out of the nest?

Harald

Well today has seen a small thaw and we now have one brave eskimo sitting in an igloo that they must have carved out for the nest during the heavy fall! Can just see the head peeping out of the top of a snow mound. Cam lens clear but for one lovely long icicle.

harald said:
Notice that they have stripped the bark of the small tree sticking out of the nest. They did this last year. It is very common for the eagles to do this.

I wonder now whether this is a way of marking the nest (or stating a claim) - would certainly make it easier for a hunting parent to locate exact position in all that snow!

deborah4
Well you can say it with a smile !
I remember when I read Martin Carver book. Sutton Hoo ----Up on the icy coast near Ålesund-- the replica of the Viking ship found in Oseberg named Edda capsized and sank in 1988 in Hærøy fjord.
The Vest coast have mild winter, and not icy coast. But this year in the last day have been very cold over the hole country. How they work with changes in incubating will be the main thing, so I look with interest every day. Many nest at Isles are often open for weather,I have many times wonder how they can survive, but many fails.(The icicle remember me of the childhood)

Last edited:
Well 'we're' still going strong here! Thaw well on the way, no snow for several days, just a bit of rain.

12.05 GMT Male has just returned to nest with more grass to carry out much needed damp proofing and central heating. Female straight off to find food, possibly none too pleased with Male omitting to bring lunch!

1700pm the temperature in Ålesund are +10C in Bodø +4 with some rain. The eagle at the nest can see the snow smelt. And the female seems for me to have it to warm for the moment.
In Bodø the first flocks of Snow Bunting are on the way North, often followed bay hunting Peregrine Falcon.
Peregrine and Ravens often breed at same cliff as Sea-Eagle, but only newly flying Ravens have I fond as a usual prey for the Sea-eagle. But in some outlying Isles the WTS are more common then Raven. Yesterday one Rough-legged Buzzard on way.

Last edited:
At 1637 she had a toilet break and appeared to turn egg .nice webcam very enjoyable watching
Chhers
Col D

Jamesa

I think in the last week of April, this is a normal time for the WTSE in Norway.
If you look to the Newspapers you will see some other interesting from days before, as Ørnefrokost (breakfast)
you can see the male come in with food, and the female take it and leave the nest for
eating.
I live in Bodø,near the coast, but we have a lot of snow,still nests are covered around, but the bird still sitting. The worst is heavy wet snow in April so can break down nest from three, but the nest near Ålesund (Called Little London under WW2)seems to be on safe ground, and well hided.
Several thousand of Snow Sparrow passing Bodø on way North, some will turn Westward to Greenland. The Curlew come to day, but the Lapwings have been here fore several days.

Last edited:
To all interested in Sea-Eagle

In the nest in Ålesund there are possible for you to come with a guest ion, I am convince that the readers of the newspaper Sunnmørsposten will like that.
http://smp.no/ornereiret.asp?page=3544,3641&lang=1#. The last week of April will be followed with interest, if there will be any young at all.
In Nordland where I live, there are still full winter, but the days are longer for each day.
Still there are some smaller flocks of Snow Bunting heading North, in first of May there will come waders as the Golden Plover, c 15 May the Barn Swallow and at least c 20 May the Arctic Tern,----and the last waders. The first of June the Raven have they first young on wings, and the first Sea-Eagle are air born before end of June.
The most valuable fish in Nordland for the WTSE are Lumpsucker when the young are born, and a good population of Otter, and they left over of food.
Hilsen
Harald

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back