• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Local Listing In Precarious Times (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Joint Birdforum thread for those in lockdown, in quarantine or in extreme social distancing measures (ie essentially unable to leave the house except for essential purposes).

I'm hoping this will be an interesting experience to share your local sightings from around the world and keep a joint list - please feel free to add daily sightings lists, photos etc, and it would be fun to try and compile a running list of all species seen as we move into spring, and allow some vicarious birding, compare notes, provide motivation and reduce boredom.

So birds seen from the house or garden please, or by foot only. That keeps it level for all even if some can still drive to local nature reserves etc.

(Note that I've avoided using the alliterative 'Lockdown' or the dreaded 'Coronavirus' in the title ;-))

Aargh, Great minds think alike Dan, one of us must be psychic!
I'll tell people to ignore my new thread and refer to this one.
so, Day One, 32 species, as follows:
Woodpigeon Columba palumbus
Eurasian Sparrowhawk Accipiter nisus
Common Buzzard Buteo buteo
Great Spotted Woodpecker Dendrocopos major
Eurasian Green Woodpecker Picus viridis
Eurasian Jay Garrulus glandarius
Carrion Crow Corvus corone
Common Raven Corvus corax
Coal Tit Periparus ater
Marsh Tit Poecile palustris
Eurasian Blue Tit Cyanistes caeruleus
Great Tit Parus major
Eurasian Crag Martin Ptyonoprogne rupestris
Common Chiffchaff Phylloscopus collybita
Eurasian Blackcap Sylvia atricapilla
Goldcrest Regulus regulus
Eurasian Nuthatch Sitta europoea
Mistle Thrush Turdus viscivorus
Song Thrush Turdus philomelos
Eurasian Blackbird Turdus merula
Fieldfare Turdus pilaris
European Robin Erithacus rubecula
Black Redstart Phoenicurus ochruros
House Sparrow Passer domesticus
White Wagtail Motacilla alba
Common Chaffinch Fringilla coelebs
Brambling Fringilla montifringilla
Hawfinch Coccothraustes coccothraustes
Eurasian Bullfinch Pyrrhula pyrrhula
European Greenfinch Chloris chloris
European Goldfinch Carduelis carduelis
Yellowhammer Emberiza citrinella

Last edited:
Aargh, Great minds think alike Dan, one of us must be psychic!
I'll tell people to ignore my new thread and refer to this one.
so, Day One, 32 species, as follows:

[/B]

How funny is that ... sorry to beat you by all of 5 minutes. and I would say that neither of us are psychic, although obviously, yes, great minds and all that ... ;)

Walked from the house up Drummau this afternoon. Nice views of a Common Buzzard, Red Kite and some Ravens. A Chiffchaff was also singing away. First I’ve heard this year.

Rich

Attachments

• AE1BEE88-41AA-428C-9AED-EC3DD1D2704A.jpg
    AE1BEE88-41AA-428C-9AED-EC3DD1D2704A.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 29
Walked from the house up Drummau this afternoon. Nice views of a Common Buzzard, Red Kite and some Ravens. A Chiffchaff was also singing away. First I’ve heard this year.

Rich

Looks lovely Rich, I've just been mooching around the outside of the house and up and down our field for exercise, clocked up 29 species today with a couple of belters that I've added to the Garden/Yard List 2020 thread. Photos of Sparrowhawk, Black Redstart and Green Woodpecker (female I think).

Attachments

• Sparrowhawk.jpg
    Sparrowhawk.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Black redst 22.3.20.jpg
    Black redst 22.3.20.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Green woodie female.jpg
    Green woodie female.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 34

Nice! And not a soul in sight ...

Think that brings the total up to 35. Not quite sure if I can contribute to this thread yet as, although aren't really seeing anyone, not quite socially exclusiviting here yet, and not many birds from the garden either. A Peacock butterfly in the sunshine today was nice though.

Looks lovely Rich, I've just been mooching around the outside of the house and up and down our field for exercise, clocked up 29 species today with a couple of belters that I've added to the Garden/Yard List 2020 thread. Photos of Sparrowhawk, Black Redstart and Green Woodpecker (female I think).

Cheers Rich. Not quite the Alps though. Port Toilet in the background spoils it a little as well.

Rich

Think that brings the total up to 35. Not quite sure if I can contribute to this thread yet as, although aren't really seeing anyone, not quite socially exclusiviting here yet, and not many birds from the garden either. A Peacock butterfly in the sunshine today was nice though.

There were a few around Dan, though everyone leaving some distance between themselves.

Rich

Think that brings the total up to 35.

Ah, I should have said, four species today that I didn't see on day one, Merlin, Goshawk, Peregrine and Red Kite. Make the most of your precious freedom in UK while it lasts, here I need to make out and sign a justification certificate if I even walk just to the village for a baguette:eek!:

Ah, I should have said, four species today that I didn't see on day one, Merlin, Goshawk, Peregrine and Red Kite. Make the most of your precious freedom in UK while it lasts, here I need to make out and sign a justification certificate if I even walk just to the village for a baguette:eek!:

What a pain ...

;)

38 then, nice ... I've started a list on bubo, will be able to update on here if more join in and it gets more complicated..

Knew you'd like it Richard, my apologies ;)

My parents are in proper lockdown in France, fortunately they have a reasonably nice garden to enjoy. Here in the UK there are plenty effectively self-isolating, I guess it's just a case of wondering when it will be rolled out for all officially ...

Last edited:
I'm self-isolating at the moment so can't go out at all but by the time I can get out this coming week, then more draconian restrictions may be in force. Here in the UK, I've got a very small enclosed garden in the centre of town and views of roads & buildings from the house. Accordingly, I've got a vanishingly small tally of fewer than a dozen birds. Despite the tighter regulations there, if I was at my smaller garden-less house in a small town in Spain I'd be approaching or exceeding that number in raptors alone - Kestrel, Lesser Kestrel, Peregrine, Sparrowhawk, Black Kite, Buzzard, Booted Eagle, Short-toed Eagle, Griffon & Egyptian Vulture and possibly a couple more. Instead of a garden I have a sunny terrace with trees and scrub visible down-slope and 180-degree views across the campo towards the mountains. The disease may have taken a firmer hold there with the police and military patrolling the streets of even a small town (pop c5,000) accompanied by men in protective clothing waiting to spray disinfectant but I know where I'd rather be!

Attachments

• Alcala Lockdown.png
    Alcala Lockdown.png
    114 KB · Views: 44
My list so far, after 2 weeks of lockdown. Sorry it's not in taxonomic order, but in order of observation. 48 species is not bad, but restrictions just got tighter, so difficult to add new species.

1. Coal Tit
2. Marsh Tit
3. Blue Tit
4. Great Tit
5. Siskin
6. Buzzard
7. Jackdaw
8. Italian Sparrow
9. Chaffinch
10. Goldfinch
11. Cormorant
12. Blackcap
13. Wren
14. Grey Wagtail
15. Brambling
16. Greenfinch
17. Hawfinch
18. Blackbird
19. Green Woodpecker
20. Robin
21. Magpie
22. Hooded Crow
23. Collared Dove
24. Wood Pigeon
25. Jay
26. Corn Bunting
27. White Wagtail
28. Cattle Egret
29. House Martin
30. Black redstart
31. Great Spotted Woodpecker
32. Chiffchaff
33. Long-tailed Tit
34. Red Kite
35. Tree Sparrow
36. Cirl Bunting
37. Moorhen
38. Zitting Cisticola
39. Little Egret
40. Grey Heron
41. Stonechat
42. Short-toed Eagle
43. Song Thrush
44. Firecrest
45. Pheasant
46. Swallow
47. Great White Egret
48. Kestrel

I have posted some of this on another thread. This is from yesterday and today.
Griffon vulture
Black shouldered kite
Black kite
Hoopoe
Cattle egret
Raven
House sparrow
Goldfinch
Stonechat
Blackcap
Sardinian warbler
Common buzzard
Swallow
Starling

Just made the decision to cancel tomorrow's plans, which were to head up to the Great Orme area to look for early migrants, with a stop off in Clocaenog on the way back for Great Grey Shrike & Osprey. Looking at the news of how many people seem to be taking advantage of not being in work to get outdoors I just don't feel it would be responsible to hit even these only moderately popular spots. So it will be a walk up to the nearby Gravel Pit instead. On foot birding is the new normal, for now at least. I will report back in due course.

Ultimately I'm bracing myself for garden birding only at some point.

Stay safe people, and good birding!

My list so far, after 2 weeks of lockdown. Sorry it's not in taxonomic order, but in order of observation. 48 species is not bad, but restrictions just got tighter, so difficult to add new species.

Not bad! Can you confirm that all were from home/on foot, and what date was that from? (we can roll back the start time then).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back