• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Local Listing In Precarious Times (1 Viewer)

Just made the decision to cancel tomorrow's plans, which were to head up to the Great Orme area to look for early migrants, with a stop off in Clocaenog on the way back for Great Grey Shrike & Osprey. Looking at the news of how many people seem to be taking advantage of not being in work to get outdoors I just don't feel it would be responsible to hit even these only moderately popular spots. So it will be a walk up to the nearby Gravel Pit instead. On foot birding is the new normal, for now at least. I will report back in due course.

Ultimately I'm bracing myself for garden birding only at some point.

Stay safe people, and good birding!

I think that's how I feel about it as well: enjoying stuff a little away from home now because my goodness we are going to be sick of the view from the garden later.

I don't need to be told to keep away from the hoi polloi: though it goes against the grain to avoid birders, needs must.

Best to all!

Waiting to hear back from 3Italianbirders (well one of them I guess), but looks like already up to 47 species so far.

Attachments

• BF 22ndMar.pdf
    142.6 KB · Views: 11
I can probably add a few things from around Girdle Ness and Torry this weekend:
Mute Swan
Teal
Mallard
Eider
Oystercatcher
Lapwing
Ringed Plover
Turnstone
Purple Sandpiper
Redshank
Curlew
Black-headed Gull
Common Gull
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Kittiwake
Guillemot
Razorbill
Red-throated Diver
Shag
Cormorant
Gannet
Feral Pigeon
Magpie
Jackdaw
Long-tailed Tit
Skylark
Wren
Dunnock
Meadow Pipit
Rock Pipit
Greenfinch
Reed Bunting

If we go back before this weekend I can add a few more (including Iceland Gull a few days ago).

I can probably add a few things from around Girdle Ness and Torry this weekend:
Mute Swan ...

Reed Bunting

If we go back before this weekend I can add a few more (including Iceland Gull a few days ago).

The question is, where you properly self-isolating back then? Or just normally birding?

;)

I don't know what a target would be, but well over 100+ presumably. Could always reset for April when that comes up too.

The question is, where you properly self-isolating back then? Or just normally birding?

;)

I don't know what a target would be, but well over 100+ presumably. Could always reset for April when that comes up too.

Tricky question. I would say I've been working at home all this week and basically 'self-isolating'. The fact this seems surprisingly similar to my normal life is entirely irrelevant ;).

Tricky question. I would say I've been working at home all this week and basically 'self-isolating'. The fact this seems surprisingly similar to my normal life is entirely irrelevant.

Seen a few memes and comments on social media the last few weeks - all these introverts asking what the fuss is about. ;)

Up to you to decide - I guess criteria to help would be to know if you were essentially obeying the 2m rule when out and in hand sanitizing mode ... dates please if so ...

Seen a few memes and comments on social media the last few weeks - all these introverts asking what the fuss is about. ;)

Up to you to decide - I guess criteria to help would be to know if you were essentially obeying the 2m rule when out and in hand sanitizing mode ... dates please if so ...

I'd say yes to all of that really. I wash my hands when I get back inside anyway!

Your real name isn't Monk by any chance ... ? ;) Last question I guess is whether you had been on any unnecessary journeys or frivolous outings in the time span ... or would have if the opportunity arose.

I never do anything frivolous... This is my all-important exercise and fresh air!

Time to do a recap of the rules Dan, there’s enough chaos in the world at the moment

'Rules' pah. Maybe should have bullet-pointed, but it's meant to be fun. ;)

What does the 'community' want? My thinking on it being solely from home/within the constraints of 'necessary' local exercise is that otherwise some birders would be able to visit far-flung nature reserves and it wouldn't be fair on those in 'proper lockdown'. A kind of shorter term (we hope!!) joint garden/yard and immediate area list. Maybe that would be easier for April - a joint Birdforum garden lockdown list thread ... ?

'Rules' pah. Maybe should have bullet-pointed, but it's meant to be fun. ;)

What does the 'community' want? My thinking on it being solely from home/within the constraints of 'necessary' local exercise is that otherwise some birders would be able to visit far-flung nature reserves and it wouldn't be fair on those in 'proper lockdown'. A kind of shorter term (we hope!!) joint garden/yard and immediate area list. Maybe that would be easier for April - a joint Birdforum garden lockdown list thread ... ?

I think limiting it to from garden and house is best and fairest (if the latter matters) - lets start off with a level playing field.

Also it is policy-compliant in that it actually encourages people to stay home so they can contribute! :t:

Cheers

John

So birds seen from the house or garden please, or by foot only. That keeps it level for all even if some can still drive to local nature reserves etc.
Bike? Keeps me safely isolated at least 2 metres from everyone else :t:

If permitted, I can add Greenland Whitefront Goose from this morning; also Willow Tit (and mebbe one or two others) if no-one else has had one in this thread yet?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back