Loch Garten Ospreys (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Well-known member
Hi everyone,

Just had to write and tell you all the world famous Osprey EJ arrived back at Loch Garten on Tuesday. I am over the moon, now for Henry to arrive home too. Please all have a drink on me. I looked at the camera about 7.00 am this morning and thought is it? or has someone put a cardboard cutout up there to fool me?. No our famous lady is home. The Warden's diary can be found at

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/a/abernethyforest/diary/index.asp

and from there are links to the two cameras watching he nest. Superb pictures, but no-one at home just now although the sun is shining which is more than it is in Lancashire it is grey and drizzling.

Welcome home EJ from your biggest fan.

Ann
 

Sandra (Taylor)

Well-known member
EJ/Henry

Hi Ann- isn't it wonderful news. Just logged in and read the diary. To fly all that way and come back to the same nest in the same tree etc... But that goes for all migrating birds doesn't it? The wardens and volunteers will be over the moon. Would like to be up there in that hide this weekend, but we are going to Dumfries & Galloway instead! And I won't have a website. Hope Henry's back when we are!

EJ's second biggest fan

Sandra
 

A CHAPLIN

Well-known member
Hi Sandra,

I am a sad old lady I have been watching the web cam all weekend looking at an empty nest. I couldn't believe it this morning when I had a quick look about 7.00 am before going to work and there she was bold as brass sat looking at me I thought someone was playing a joke on me. Obviously not, as Andrew's diary revealed.

I think they must be the most famous pair in the world what do you think?

DKR - 2 Ospreys were seen at Bassenthwaite on the 30th but they were not the resident birds. If I remember correctly there were rumours of other birds in the Lake District last year but I could not verify the facts. I wonder if some of the previous young ones have now returned or are they birds passing through on their way to Scotland? Seems a bit strange though thinking about it surely they would use the east coast route wouldn't they from Africa. We will just have to wait and see.

Sandra, you can be sure I will be watching (when I am at home that is and it is daylight, thank goodness they have an extra hour to us). Of course, he will wait until I am not watching. Enjoy your trip up to Dumfries and Galloway it is lovely round there.

Ann
 
Last edited:

DKR

Northern Refugee
Cumbria

A CHAPLIN said:
DKR - 2 Ospreys were seen at Bassenthwaite on the 30th but they were not the resident birds. If I remember correctly there were rumours of other birds in the Lake District last year but I could not verify the facts. I wonder if some of the previous young ones have now returned or are they birds passing through on their way to Scotland? Seems a bit strange though thinking about it surely they would use the east coast route wouldn't they from Africa. We will just have to wait and see.

Ann

Thanks, guess the wait is still on. The Cumbria Breeding Bird Atlas says three pairs had clutches in 2001 but monitoring was difficult because of foot and mouth. At one of the sites it seems one of the Ospreys was later found dead. Obviously information is scarce but at least we have the Bassenthwaite ospreys to 'support'.

DKR - Living in Kent but home is Cumbria
 

Mad_BMS

Well-known member
Would like to be up there in that hide this weekend said:
Sandra

Hope you get better weather than we had there (D&G) 2 weeks ago the weather was so bad at the RSPB Mersehead they had not seen their 9000 geese that day. However the RSPB chap suggested we go to Lauriston near RSPB Ken Marsh site where a farm has a feeding station for Red Kites great view even in the rain of more than 10 kites feeding on the wing in a gale. Will visit again in more photographic weather. Have a good trip.
 

Paul F

Member
Is this the male osprey returned?

Looked at the Garten webcams earlier today and saw 2 Ospreys on the nest. Looked again a few minutes later and saw what looks like mating.
Is Henry back? If so I think it's exactly the same day he returned last year. No comments yet in the warden's diary. Photos attached. Have a look and tell me what you think.

Paul F
 

Attachments

  • couple.jpg
    couple.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 231
  • x rated.jpg
    x rated.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 237

Tiger_mz

Well-known member
Paul F said:
Looked at the Garten webcams earlier today and saw 2 Ospreys on the nest. Looked again a few minutes later and saw what looks like mating.
Is Henry back? If so I think it's exactly the same day he returned last year. No comments yet in the warden's diary. Photos attached. Have a look and tell me what you think.

Paul F
Looks like EJ is having some early season adultry like last year. That bird has an orange ring!
 

Attachments

  • osprey0006.jpg
    osprey0006.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 200

Paul F

Member
Tiger_mz said:
Looks like EJ is having some early season adultry like last year. That bird has an orange ring!
Pleased you spotted that I couldn't work the ring out - must be orange VS. That was the male she mated with early in the season last year.
Paul F
 

Tiger_mz

Well-known member
Paul F said:
Pleased you spotted that I couldn't work the ring out - must be orange VS. That was the male she mated with early in the season last year.
Paul F
Yes but we know that the mate of Orange VS viz. Green7B is already back as was reported on the Loch Garten site some time ago.

Wonder if that is another divorce!
 

Sandra (Taylor)

Well-known member
Dumfries & Galloway

Weather was good Sat/Sun/Mon. Visited Calaeverock twice & Mersehead twice. Hundreds geese at both. Loved the sound when they were disturbed - wheeling about in the sky. Phoned our son on my mobile from a hide so he could listen to them! Sad, eh?

Saw kites from near Lauriston but not at the feeding station. 100c black-tailed godwits at Caelaverock made a good spectacle with many in summer plumage. Bird of the weekend - golden eagle!! At sea level! Feeding on a gull carcass in a field! Watched it for 20 mins.

Had over 70 birds in 3 days.

(Wish Henry would come back to Boat of Garten, Ann)

Sandra
 

Tiger_mz

Well-known member
There has been an update of the diary at Loch Garten. It has Orange VS pairing up with EJ and Henry is nowhere to be seen!

Worst of all EJ is playing along!
 

kas

Well-known member
Does anyone know if Henry has returned ?

There is 2 birds present on the webcam.
Are these EJ and Orange VS or EJ and Henry?

The diary hasnt been updated for a few days now, so Im not syre what is happening.
 

Tiger_mz

Well-known member
kas said:
Does anyone know if Henry has returned ?

There is 2 birds present on the webcam.
Are these EJ and Orange VS or EJ and Henry?

The diary hasnt been updated for a few days now, so Im not syre what is happening.
I think it is EJ and Orange VS although I have had a suspicion that Henry may be around too.

It is a pity they do not update the diary more often. It has been five days now.
 

kas

Well-known member
Thanks for that.

If you hadnt noticed the orange ring, I would have been thinking the male was Henry.

Hopefully we'll get a update soon.
 

Sandra (Taylor)

Well-known member
Updated Diary

I hope the RSPB take note of the comments about the diary. If it is to be of interest it really should be updated more often than, say, weekly. I'm sure the staff at Loch Garten are very busy but I understand they send the text to HQ to be put on the website. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sandra
 

Tiger_mz

Well-known member
Sandra (Taylor) said:
I hope the RSPB take note of the comments about the diary. If it is to be of interest it really should be updated more often than, say, weekly. I'm sure the staff at Loch Garten are very busy but I understand they send the text to HQ to be put on the website. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sandra
Yes it seems crazy that in a time of so much technology that we might be better off with the Pony Express!
 

Tiger_mz

Well-known member
Sandra (Taylor) said:
I hope the RSPB take note of the comments about the diary. If it is to be of interest it really should be updated more often than, say, weekly. I'm sure the staff at Loch Garten are very busy but I understand they send the text to HQ to be put on the website. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sandra
This pic shows that it is not Henry that is the male osprey!

So either Henry did not return or he could not oust Orange VS.
 

Attachments

  • osprey0015.jpg
    osprey0015.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 208

A CHAPLIN

Well-known member
Loch Garten Ospreys Update

Tiger_mz said:
This pic shows that it is not Henry that is the male osprey!

So either Henry did not return or he could not oust Orange VS.

Hi Guys,

I have been in touch with Loch Garten who send their apologies they sent their data down the line to HQ but are now experiencing data line problems which are being looked into by BT. As soon as the problems are sorted a diary update will be posted.

The new guy on the block is Orange VS,who is 13 years of age, so no spring chicken. Not often seen as his favourite perch is out of sight of cameras. Unfortunately Henry has not been seen yet, so it doesn't look too good for him. A male bird was seen today in Henry's tree for about 10 seconds max. (I know it probaby won't be) but I am praying it is Henry it is his tree and no other Ospreys have been seen to use it. Please pray with me guys, I am daft I know but I miss that bird and hope nothing bad has happned to him, probably has though.

Tiger, I know you watch the webcams regularly, please please keep me up to date, especially if HE does return.

Thanks

Ann
 

Tiger_mz

Well-known member
A CHAPLIN said:
Hi Guys,

I have been in touch with Loch Garten who send their apologies they sent their data down the line to HQ but are now experiencing data line problems which are being looked into by BT. As soon as the problems are sorted a diary update will be posted.

The new guy on the block is Orange VS,who is 13 years of age, so no spring chicken. Not often seen as his favourite perch is out of sight of cameras. Unfortunately Henry has not been seen yet, so it doesn't look too good for him. A male bird was seen today in Henry's tree for about 10 seconds max. (I know it probaby won't be) but I am praying it is Henry it is his tree and no other Ospreys have been seen to use it. Please pray with me guys, I am daft I know but I miss that bird and hope nothing bad has happned to him, probably has though.

Tiger, I know you watch the webcams regularly, please please keep me up to date, especially if HE does return.

Thanks

Ann
Yes I was begining to think that there had been a technical hitch.

However even the cams have frozen!

Orange VS must really have a thing for EJ. They were together as a couple in 2003 before another female ousted EJ. Then her came back to court EJ black year before being sent packing by Henry.

Mind you VS is suspect at fishing! His kids died last year :(
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top