• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of Lowes Ospreys 2007 (1 Viewer)

Seen the old female bird a few times and she did a great job, although maybe a bit lose with her sexual favours and having no patience, she brought many wonderful ospreys into the world. I'm so glad her hubby has replaced her already and can only hope they have a couple of healthy chicks this year.

Ospreys are back at Loch of the Lowes

Tiger_mz said:
Ospreys have arrived at Loch of Lowes.

See http://www.swt.org.uk/webcam/webcam.asp

Looks as if the old female who has mothered nearly 40 chicks may not be back.

What splendid news, Tiger! :t:
We have been to this viewpoint on several occasions, and never been disappointed. We stay at a farm B&B just about half a mile away along the side of the loch, so that we have been able to pop into the Wildlife Centre early in the morning or even late in the evening to see what's going on at the nest.
It is a superb spot, because the nest is so near and the comings and goings of the ospreys occur right there, in front of you. Good for photographers too, as the light is so good.

The staff and volunteers at the Centre are always so helpful and welcoming; they must work tremendously hard all summer to ensure the safety and the success of the ospreys' nesting.
Hopefully we shall go again, once any chicks have hatched and fledged. Their antics when they're being taught to fish can be very funny! :clap:

Last edited:
The old bird may be back!!! The male has been confirmed as the same one who has been coming for 13 years. The first ringed female is still unknown. However an unringed female landed yesterday and has also mated with the same male. They suspect it may be the original female.

Turning into a real soap opera this.
The old male seemed to have teamed up with a red-ringed female -they mated yesterday morning apparently.

Yesterday afternoon an unringed female flew into the nest (the old female is unringed ) -she quickly made herself at home, looked around at the new camera fittings then looked up as the male circled overhead calling loudly.....from his viewpoint above the nest he recognised the old bird, he was clearly in big trouble & needed to think quickly!!!

Attachments

• old female Osprey 1.jpg
    old female Osprey 1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 196
  • old female Osprey 2.jpg
    old female Osprey 2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 184
...........He quickly dropped down onto the nest & without even the present of a single fish he immediately attempted to mate with the (?old) female. Clearly something was amiss; call it female intuition but she seemed to know he had been less than honest.....

Attachments

• illicit liaison.jpg
    illicit liaison.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Couple in crisis.jpg
    Couple in crisis.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 208
Steve G said:
...........He quickly dropped down onto the nest & without even the present of a single fish he immediately attempted to mate with the (?old) female. Clearly something was amiss; call it female intuition but she seemed to know he had been less than honest.....
Well she had her own bit of early season adultry last year. It seems to be very normal for ospreys.

Feeding Time

Got there this afternoon in time to see the male mating , ;) .Then offering dinner a little while later when he returned from his hunting spell. :t: Pictures to follow.

Great pictures H! Should have told me you were coming though :-O

D

Here is an update from the Warden. Its FANTASTIC news about the old girl.

9 April 2007
It now seems the unringed female is here to stay. On her arrival the male was seen to soar high above the nest making a call I had never heard before. He was also acting like I had never seen folding in his wings making little plunges in the sky only to soar back up again. This turned out to be the normal courtship display but since our female normally arrives first, I have never seen this behaviour in the five years I have been here. The female acted very confident on the nest and our male mated with her almost immediately. From this behaviour and her obvious shoulder stripe, it would appear that this is our original female! Hard to believe since this year she is in such good condition. However, I have still to check the head markings from old footage to be certain. But since her arrival the pair have been mating well and hopefully eggs will be laid in the next two weeks.
Since this has happened the red ringed female has been seldom seen. When she has approached the nest the male displayed defensive behaviour as if to say she wasn’t welcome on the nest anymore, the promptly mated with her again! But all in all it has been the unringed female who has spent the majority of time on the nest and importantly stayed there overnight. This has been seen with our new infra red camera. So you can now even check on the birds at night!
And as if two females wasn’t enough, a yellow ringed bird was also seen close to the nest last week.

Cosworthlady said:
Here is an update from the Warden. Its FANTASTIC news about the old girl.

9 April 2007
It now seems the unringed female is here to stay. On her arrival the male was seen to soar high above the nest making a call I had never heard before. He was also acting like I had never seen folding in his wings making little plunges in the sky only to soar back up again. This turned out to be the normal courtship display but since our female normally arrives first, I have never seen this behaviour in the five years I have been here. The female acted very confident on the nest and our male mated with her almost immediately. From this behaviour and her obvious shoulder stripe, it would appear that this is our original female! Hard to believe since this year she is in such good condition. However, I have still to check the head markings from old footage to be certain. But since her arrival the pair have been mating well and hopefully eggs will be laid in the next two weeks.
Since this has happened the red ringed female has been seldom seen. When she has approached the nest the male displayed defensive behaviour as if to say she wasn’t welcome on the nest anymore, the promptly mated with her again! But all in all it has been the unringed female who has spent the majority of time on the nest and importantly stayed there overnight. This has been seen with our new infra red camera. So you can now even check on the birds at night!
And as if two females wasn’t enough, a yellow ringed bird was also seen close to the nest last week.

Fascinating stuff.Please keep us all updated ?

Just had a look at the webcam and the female is looking very broody,as we say up here.In fact,Im not exactly sure but I may have seen an egg as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back