• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of the Lowes Ospreys 2009 (2 Viewers)

There's someone on the nest just now. Afraid I'm not as good at identifying the individuals as the rest of you.

Mad_BMS said:
I have not managed to take my 80+ parents up there yet this year

How many parents do you have Tom?:eek!::-O

D

:eek!: Where are you all people?;)

We in Finland hav´nt seen Marge after yesterday. Have You here?
And also HomErik is "lost"? :eek!:

Still here Elanor but not so much sadly.

I haven't seen Marge or Homeric either although I'm sure I heard an adult yesterday when the two chicks were on the nest.

Hi, Cosworthlady:))

I am glad, you are there! ;)

Do you meen that it is no need to be worried...sad am I not. Did I undertand right?

HomErik is there certainly. Do you know has Oor Wullie catch first own fish? I think Wee Eck has´nt.

I expect hearing Marges call one hour ago...but not sure.

Last edited:
Hello Elanor.

I think its great in a way we don't see the parents much now. It means they have been successful this year and their job is almost done. I think its only been Homeric who has been bringing fish to the nest for them to eat. The area around the Loch of the Lowes has many feeding lochs and many places for an osprey to perch when not on the nest. I am not sure if oor Wullie has caught his first fish but I certainly seen him fly to the nest with one. There has been no update yet on the SWT site to say that he has.

I'm glad you heard Marge. She's my favourite along with her husband of many years.

Hi, Cosworthlady!

This has been one great experience for my too. It is wonderful the chicks are so well, Marge is phenomenal among the osprey-mams, and the "invisible" HomErik is great dad!
I think I recognize her call, but the call of HomErik i have never actually heard.

Now I say you good night and I am glag about all your answers.:)

Last edited:
Hi

I like Elanor & Cosworthlady have not seen Marge or Homeric for days but did hear yesterday another Osprey calling to the 2 chicks (joke calling them chicks now ) while they were on the nest. It has been very difficult to see much as because of the huge storm on Tues night up here and I mean rain like I have never seen before caused that branch to cover our view of the nest even more than it was and if you notice the rain trashed the nest big time I caught a look at the back of the nest near the branch where Marge used to sit and it has completely fallen away,just as well they have both fledged now eh ?

And Elanor I have to say I have never really heard Homeric call much either except his alarm call when an intruder is close

Elf

Last edited:
Hello Elanor.

I think its great in a way we don't see the parents much now. It means they have been successful this year and their job is almost done. I think its only been Homeric who has been bringing fish to the nest for them to eat. The area around the Loch of the Lowes has many feeding lochs and many places for an osprey to perch when not on the nest. I am not sure if oor Wullie has caught his first fish but I certainly seen him fly to the nest with one. There has been no update yet on the SWT site to say that he has.

I'm glad you heard Marge. She's my favourite along with her husband of many years.

Although a juvenile has been known to catch a fish within three days of leaving the nest most young birds do not catch a fish before they leave on migration. this idea that young ospreys have to be taught to fish is a myth as is demonstated by the translocation programmes.

Hi! ;)

Three times have I seen Oor ja Wee starting "gamecock", one of them has always gon at last away. And one time I sew a fish in Oors claws..why they are doing it? That is quite new for my. It has to be about the fish...or...?

Ou...ther he is with fish without head...and Wee is calling....cant see Wee...

YES...of course, HomErik carryd fish and chicken started fight...:))

Last edited:
;) Hi!!

How do you see those chicks? I think that Oor is a little darker and smaller...is that right?

No, there is no way to recognize them, at least for my...

HomErik has brought them bouth fish, and they were equals at that time!.:)

Last edited:
How do you see those chicks? I think that Oor is a little darker and smaller...is that right?

Elanor
Just got back from LoTL after a great afternoon up there watching them lin real life. Both chicks on nest and you are correct Oor Willie apparently is now the smaller one and is indeed a male. From listening to staff I am afraid we will have to rename wee Eck - Eckess as she is apparently now the larger chick and female. The staff were talking to other people so I do not know when this was confirmed. Assuming it was mum sitting in the tree opposite the nest she brought in 2 fish while we were there one just as we arrived and the other just before we left. All were very vocal and jealously gaurding there meals. I will see if I have any reasonable pictures and post later.:D

Elanor
Just got back from LoTL after a great afternoon up there watching them lin real life. Both chicks on nest and you are correct Oor Willie apparently is now the smaller one and is indeed a male. From listening to staff I am afraid we will have to rename wee Eck - Eckess as she is apparently now the larger chick and female. The staff were talking to other people so I do not know when this was confirmed. Assuming it was mum sitting in the tree opposite the nest she brought in 2 fish while we were there one just as we arrived and the other just before we left. All were very vocal and jealously gaurding there meals. I will see if I have any reasonable pictures and post later.:D

Thank you Mad_BMS for you information! So Marge is still there.:)

What is the meanig of the name Wee Eckess? And have to ask also...watching them lin seal life...this lin, what´s the meaning of that?

What is the meanig of the name Wee Eckess? And have to ask also...watching them lin seal life...this lin, what´s the meaning of that?

Sorry Elanor first is a bad example of changing the male name Eck to female Eckess as chick is actually female according to staff. I could not think of a female name from the comic strip but lets try Daphne from another Scottish comic don't know if the godmother will approve o:D

The other was a typing error 'seal life' should have read 'real life'.

Hi All

As I said I was up there today and as we arrived a parent brought in lunch about 14:00. There then followed a scuffle when the older chick claimed the fish and fed for more than 1.5 hrs. Meanwhile the other was very vocal regarding their needs but it was not until approx 16:00 another fish was brought in. Again not sure which parent but they both then claimed their own meal and covered them with their wings.

Excuse quality of pictures they really are so far away I was using a x2tc with the Canon 100-400L lens not recommended by the better photographers on this site.

Attachments

• Incoming lunch1_4405c.jpg
    Incoming lunch1_4405c.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Incoming Lunch2_4406c.jpg
    Incoming Lunch2_4406c.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 61
Most of the time I was there Marge (I assume) was sitting in the tree opposite the nest. Then I spotted a grey heron flying in towards where my camera was on the tripod pointing at nest. Great I thought a bonus heron flight picture coming up. No should have realised Mum saw the threat took off and chased heron to the other side of the loch away from the nest. Was good to watch so who needs photo's. She really is still looking after her kids though from what I could see today they must be pretty close to being able to chase off the heron themselves.

Attachments

• Mum on guard_4420.jpg
    Mum on guard_4420.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 52
Hi All

As I said I was up there today and as we arrived a parent brought in lunch about 14:00. There then followed a scuffle when the older chick claimed the fish and fed for more than 1.5 hrs. Meanwhile the other was very vocal regarding their needs but it was not until approx 16:00 another fish was brought in. Again not sure which parent but they both then claimed their own meal and covered them with their wings.

Excuse quality of pictures they really are so far away I was using a x2tc with the Canon 100-400L lens not recommended by the better photographers on this site.

Hi Tom

Like your photos they well reasonable as I know how hard it is to get a good photo.The parent who delivered the fish, it was Homeric as you can clearly make out the green ring on his leg in your pics as Marge is unrung

Elf

Hi Tom
The parent who delivered the fish, it was Homeric as you can clearly make out the green ring on his leg in your pics as Marge is unrung
Elf

Thanks Elf. I would have thought I should have retained that piece of info about green ring by now, that may help me distinguish them.

PS glad I was there yesterday the bird on the nest just now is looking pretty miserable in today's weather

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back