• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long Beach Island, New Jersey---Duck Species (1 Viewer)

anonymousbirder

United States
Hi,
The other day, I saw a species of duck in LBI, New Jersey that I couldn't identify. I got some pictures, but they're rather grainy. Still, adding them in case they help. The female out in front of the group had a mainly white body with orange or light brown spots. I took the pictures of the lone duck about 5 minutes later after the group had passed beyond my sight. In the intervening time I had left to try to get a better angle to see the main group and then returned. It's possible he's unrelated, but given the proximity, I thought it likely that he was of the same species. Anyone have any ideas?

7_22_21_Lone_Mystery_Duck_A.JPG7_22_21_Lone_Mystery_Duck_B.JPG7_22_21_Lone_Mystery_Duck_C.JPG7_22_21_Mystery_Ducks.JPG7_22_21_Mystery_Ducks_B.JPG7_22_21_Mystery_Ducks_C.JPG7_22_21_Mystery_Ducks_D.JPG7_22_21_Mystery_Ducks_E.JPG

Attachments

• 7_22_21_Mystery_Ducks_F.JPG
    7_22_21_Mystery_Ducks_F.JPG
    434.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 7_22_21_Mystery_Ducks_G.JPG
    7_22_21_Mystery_Ducks_G.JPG
    433.9 KB · Views: 28
Agree family are Mallards with domestic ancestry, the solo duck looks rather like a Gadwall to me, but image quality is poor.

Hello,
when I first saw the pictures of the lone Duck, they gave a Gadwall-impression to me, too, but then I realised that this is a bad pitfall picture:
  • Shape seemed unusual in all pictures with square, high-fronted head, to plump high ended rear (resulting in a domestic-jizz)
  • In the first picture the colours looked good, including the right grey shade, but in the others the tone looked more "plastic-brown"=Widgeon-colour.
  • The white patch seems to be at the wrong place for a Gadwall, but difficult to judge.
Conclusion? I am in the Domestic Duck-camp for this, too, but happy to be corrected.

Hello,
when I first saw the pictures of the lone Duck, they gave a Gadwall-impression to me, too, but then I realised that this is a bad pitfall picture:
  • Shape seemed unusual in all pictures with square, high-fronted head, to plump high ended rear (resulting in a domestic-jizz)
  • In the first picture the colours looked good, including the right grey shade, but in the others the tone looked more "plastic-brown"=Widgeon-colour.
  • The white patch seems to be at the wrong place for a Gadwall, but difficult to judge.
Conclusion? I am in the Domestic Duck-camp for this, too, but happy to be corrected.
I agree with all of this. Second picture made me think transiently of American wigeon but of course white flank patch is in the wrong place. To certain, better pics!

Hello,
Yes thought the white patch wasn't in the right place for Gadwall which is why I added the caveat about the image.

Agree family are Mallards with domestic ancestry, the solo duck looks rather like a Gadwall to me, but image quality is poor.
Hello,
Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back