• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long distance, static (1 Viewer)

CharleyBird

England
Anyone got big bins rather than a scope for static, long distance viewing?

For example if you have a balcony window overlooking an estuary, the sea, or mountains, what binoculars with considerable power, let's say a minimum of 20x magnification on a tripod, do you use, or recommend?

Thanks
Andy

How did I miss that thread. Yes that's the kind of thing I've been thinking about.
I know that by 40x and above you can get hazy views on warm days, so have been reading up on the 32x82 Kowa. Seems nothing above 20x is central focus though.

What are the ones by the seaside you put 20p in for a view of ships?

How did I miss that thread. Yes that's the kind of thing I've been thinking about.
I know that by 40x and above you can get hazy views on warm days, so have been reading up on the 32x82 Kowa. Seems nothing above 20x is central focus though.

What are the ones by the seaside you put 20p in for a view of ships?

Hi,

The usual suspects for big bins are Kowa Highlander and Docter/Noblex Aspectem.

APM also has quite a few well regarded offerings for big bins - they're made in china usually but the examples I have seen were very nice - IF only and often 90 deg angled as they primarily cater to the astro crowd though.

On the plus side they take standard 1.25" astro eyepieces, so there is a lot of choice there for any magnification you like... an example belonging to friend in the stargazing club can take magnifications above 100x (at night, so heat haze is less of a problem).

Joachim

Charleybird,
The Celestron 25x70 is CF but the one I have is rubbish optically.
Some say that they are O.K.
I wouldn't cough though as they may go out of alignment.
Dirt cheap.

The Japanese 30x80 that I had was I think CF but impossibly short eye relief.

There are 25x65 and 25x70 Japanese good binoculars.
22x80 German.
Probably 25x80 also.
26x70 Russian, but IF.

25x105 Schneider WW2 are good, triplet objectives.

The 30x50 Yukon folded refractor binocular that I have is brilliant at resolution but dim.

I'll have a look at my 25-135x80. Can't remember if CF. Works O.K. at 80x. Aligned for me at any power.

Russian 15x110 and 20x110 guard post binoculars are good. Maybe 90 degree eyepieces.
There is a rare large Russian one with 100 degree plus eyepieces.
Fujinon 25x150 and 40x150.
Japanese WW2 180mm battleship binoculars.
Also 250mm in a Japanese museum.

Nikon 20x120 binoculars are good.

There are large Czech binoculars.

Large Italian Galileo make binoculars with triple turret eyepieces. Also others.

Ross fortress of Malta 6 inch binocular. I couldn't afford the £250 that Arthur Frank of Charles Frank asked me. I suppose he would have taken £200. In the 1960s I think. About a third the price of my very early Mini Cooper S.

APM made 300mm refracting binoculars.
Zeiss made three 300mm binoculars on large altazimuth mounts. Weight maybe over one ton.

I mounted two Opticron mighty midgets together and it worked well.

There are British custom made 150mm and 200mm refracting binoculars.
Might be available second hand.
Also larger reflecting binoculars.

In all cases I prefer a scope to large binoculars, but others prefer a binocular.
However, I used a very good Japanese Celestron 20x80 and a Soviet specially made 20x60 for many years.

The old U.K. seaside scopes were only 50mm.
Not sure if I have seen binoculars, but many in the U.S.

Vixen make large binoculars.

Optical Vision Ltd site has a large selection of observation binoculars at good prices.
I use Sherwoods photo.
The old 15x70 Quantam that I have is very nice.

Monk optics used to sell large binoculars, some custom improved.

I think that the Widescreen Centre and Telescope House will check out a high powered binocular for alignment if a buyer requests this. Up to maybe 75x, possibly higher.

B.

Last edited:
That's certainly given me ideas for going down the second-hand route, thanks.

Have either of you used the new options by docter, noblex, kowa?

The APM are lighter and more compact and cheaper than the Kowa and doctor and some of the other 80mm+ bins mentioned, importantly they take any Astro 1.25mm eyepieces so you can choose the field, magnification and eye relief.(can get costly of you want too many options!) The ED apochromatic model will deliver very good views and negligible false colour. The 70mm are more manageable than the 82mm. I run with a 13mm ultrawide eyepiece to give sharp, wide immersive 30x views, the supplied 18mm eyepieces (22x) are no slouches either, wide, flat and sharp to almost the edge. The 45degree eyepieces are easy to use like a spotter. Individual focussing is more robust than centre focus especially at higher powers, just need a quick tweak in use. If you move a lot between different distances it could become a pain, but observing areas for time it is no issue. I have just added some farpoint research rubber winged eyecups to cut out stray light..

Oberwerk have just announced a cheaper and slightly smaller model, so more choice! https://oberwerk.com/product/oberwerk-bt-70xl-ed-binocular-telescope/
You’ll want a reasonable tripod, but nothing too huge.

Peter

Maybe Tring Astro, not many physical Astro shops in the U.K. any longer. I based my decision on CloudyNighrs reviews and a tape measure (check it would fit my backpack!). Remember half the performance is the eyepieces, Baader Morpheus seem to be well regarded as wide, flat and glasses friendly. Observing with these bins puts a smile on my face, more so than the Nikon 8x30E2, whose field edges are noticeably worse. Where in the U.K. are you!

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back