• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long Legged Buzzard? - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (1 Viewer)

JSmolders

Time: March 1, 2019 - Late morning (seen several times between about 9-11am
Environment/behaviour: mostly circling/soaring above the river valley (which has extensive forest, some farm plots, but no major human development).

I've uploaded four photos which I think look good for the Long-Legged Buzzard (possibly a pale morph?), but I thought I'd get some advice since buzzards and eagles are not my forté.

Photo 1: Good view of the head and legs. I'm wondering about the size of the gape... does that fit the LL Buzzard?
Photo 2: underexposed flight shot. To the naked eye the underside appeared much much more white/gray than this shot shows.
Photo 3: a better shot of the vent and legs.
Photo 4: upped exposure and saturation for photo 2, shows the carpal patches.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• LLbuzzard1.jpg
    LLbuzzard1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 107
  • LLbuzzard3.jpg
    LLbuzzard3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 113
  • LLbuzzard4.jpg
    LLbuzzard4.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 91
  • LLbuzzard2.jpg
    LLbuzzard2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 120
these must be 2 different birds, sitting one with fox red trousers and flanks and a much paler flying bird with carpal commas, both look good for Steppe Buzzard

Hi Tom

They are definitely the same bird. I took the flight shots and then watched the bird land in the tree and took the perched shots. I agree though that the rufous does not show up well in fight, which is why I was thinking pale morph.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Steppe/Common Buzzard doesn't have a clean, white vent like my photos show, correct?

Hi Tom

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Steppe/Common Buzzard doesn't have a clean, white vent like my photos show, correct?

yes, they can, other features typical for Steppe/Common are carpal patch and white medium underwing coverts (pale bar), small bill

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back