• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long shot. Terrible recording of nocturnal bird call in Dhaka, Bangladesh (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
Needed a drink at 5 this morning and happened to hear what I first thought was a Collared Scops Owl (would've been pretty surprised to find one in the city here). Then I went out on our veranda and heard a call from a different direction, that to me sounded like some species of owl, but can't pin it down. I was also hearing Rock Pigeons though this sounded quite different and from a different direction. Unfortunately my recording is absolutely trashy (fairly cheap smartphones recording, what can I expect...) . The call can just barely be made out from the Rock Pigeons coos. It is clearly lower and you can see it on the sonogram just beneath the pigeons calls. Calls are at :02, :11-12, :16-18.

TBH, I'm not completely sure it's an owl. I thought of Greater Coucal, but their calls are usually faster paced I think. Common owls in this area are Barn Owls (though I've actually never seen or heard them). There are also Brown Boobooks and Spotted Owlets. None of those calls match, and didn't find any other owl calls that matched from any that have been seen in Bangladesh.

I downloaded Audacity, but haven't been able to figure it out in the brief amount of time I've spend on it.

Any tips would be appreciated. Either on ID or on recordings and Audacity.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/203800691

Last edited:
Sounds like a Spotted Dove.

Yes, my bad. The main call you can hear is Spotted Dove, not Rock Pigeon. But there is another call almost drowned out by it. I pointed out the times in my first post. If you look at the sonogram you can see it beneath the doves cooing.

I'm hoping to try again a little earlier one of these next two days and see if I hear it again and can get a better recording...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back