• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-tailed Blues Brighton etc (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Anyone know the location of the Long-tailed Blues in Brighton, or details of any other very recent sightings anywhere roughly between Brighton and Bristol?

I'm going to be travelling between Brighton and Bristol in a couple of days, and would love to make a detour if any of these are twitchable.

Thanks,

Larry

Anyone know the location of the Long-tailed Blues in Brighton, or details of any other very recent sightings anywhere roughly between Brighton and Bristol?

I'm going to be travelling between Brighton and Bristol in a couple of days, and would love to make a detour if any of these are twitchable.

Thanks,

Larry

I don't know about Brighton, Larry, but I think I heard 1-2 were 'still present' near Exeter a few days ago. Can't remember if it was atropos.info or devonbirds.org I was looking at?

I've been told the Fenced off area between Lancing Station and the adjacent Asda are a good bet - but its a binocular job (so perhaps not conducive to photos)
I'm in Epsom tomorrow with work so will probably give it a bash (weather dependent) as they're still a "lifer" for me...I'll report back on my efforts :)
Quite why Butterfly watchers can't be as helpful as birders on their reports is beyond me! Rest assured if I see any they'll be on the info services with a grid ref and a description of location!

Quite why Butterfly watchers can't be as helpful as birders on their reports is beyond me! Rest assured if I see any they'll be on the info services with a grid ref and a description of location!

Because of butterfly collectors - some of the authors of the big European butterfly sites mention they previously would help people with locations to see particular species, only to then find that persons used the information to collect the individuals.

If collecting is a also a threat in the UK, putting grid references online for rare species could lead to the individuals being caught and pinned. There is at least one forum dedicated to collecting and I read not long ago one member asking for information about some species and somebody else recommended asking on the UK butterfly site ....specifically saying to not mention they are a collector though.

Last edited:
Because of butterfly collectors - some of the authors of the big European butterfly sites mention they previously would help people with locations to see particular species, only to then find that persons used the information to collect the individuals.

If collecting is a also a threat in the UK, putting grid references online for rare species could lead to the individuals being caught and pinned.(and there is at least one forum dedicated to it. There is at least one forum dedicated to collecting and I read not long ago one member asking for information about some species and somebody else recommended asking on the UK butterfly site ....specifically saying to not mention they are a collector though.

Not confined to butterflies, there was a big issue over this at a Green Darner in Cornwall. I wasn't there but I heard it got quite heated. :eek!:

John

I've been told the Fenced off area between Lancing Station and the adjacent Asda are a good bet - but its a binocular job (so perhaps not conducive to photos)
I'm in Epsom tomorrow with work so will probably give it a bash (weather dependent) as they're still a "lifer" for me...I'll report back on my efforts :)

Good luck Jason, and thanks for the tip about the lancing site :t:

Thanks :t: hope the booby sticks around for you to get a decent look at it

Between you and me, Larry, I'd just as soon add to my single Long-tailed Blue sighting last month as see a distant Brown Booby right now. I read they're pests and cause massive damage to pea crops in parts of Europe (not Booby's, that is :eek!:) so one day when I've seen hundreds of them, the situation might be reversed.

But anyhoo...This from Birdguides just now:

14:39 29/08 Long-tailed Blue East Sussex Brighton
at least one still at meadow near TV mast at Whitehawk Hill (c 50.826, -0.113)

Between you and me, Larry, I'd just as soon add to my single Long-tailed Blue sighting last month as see a distant Brown Booby right now. I read they're pests and cause massive damage to pea crops in parts of Europe (not Booby's, that is :eek!:) so one day when I've seen hundreds of them, the situation might be reversed.

Thanks Graham. Even if I was bothered about the booby, my scope would have been useless at the distances most are seeing it!... I'd be keen to get down there if it was an Abbot's though!

I saw 3 males easily yesterday morning. One extremely worn. Many eggs have been laid - so you may want to wait for the emergence from mid- September. Park in Monument View

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back