• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

looking for 8x30/32 roof, < 450 gram, no plastic, good in low light (1 Viewer)

Yeah you've kind of got a quality/construction/plastic vs. weight issue going on. So the ones I've got that would come CLOSE to meeting your criteria are:

Swarovski CL B 8X30- 473gm
Nikon Monarch HG 8X30- 451gm
Nikon Monarch 7 8X30- 437gm

Those are actual weights of binocular only. Any of those are nice binoculars. No doubt the two at the top are the better quality instruments. The CL B is probably the absolute brightest. The Nikons have the most FOV. I certainly wouldn't let a few gms get too much in the way of me getting a nice binocular. Those three would be really good ones to give strong consideration. I don't have a picture of those three together but I'd be happy to take one in the morning if that would help.

thnks Joachim and Chuck

My first idea was to buy a compact one (compact and low weight otherwise I shall not take it with me..I know myself..) but on this form I read you can better take a 30/32. Especially when I use it also with low light (maybe indeed a contradiction) .
And there are compacts with that weight and size. But not much now I understand. I also understand you cannot expect to much from a 30/32 for low light quality.
Also I like a good and perfect mechanical building quality. I know it sounds crazy but I worked (now retired) as a fine mechanical engineer and I like to have quality in my hand.
When I see the Swarovski C B 8x30 I like it. Also de Companion. But the weight...
I must consider it.

After the corona period (if it coms ???) I shal visit the house of outdoors in Maarssen.

Ruud

-----------

Can anybody say something obout expertbinocular.com?

Can anybody say something obout expertbinocular.com?

Hi,

no opinion in either direction - just remember that you'll most probably have to pay 3-5% customs duties plus your countries VAT rate (and maybe some fees if the courier service does customs clearing for you) on top of price and postage.

Plus of course, returns and/or warranty is going to be a major hassle with a seller on the other side of the world.

Joachim, who has bought a pair of bins from Singapore before (my SE 10x42, which I got used from a collector in here who had multiple pairs of that model - that one actually slipped by customs but others I had to go to the customs office and pay up).

I know that others don't seem to like them - binoculars are a very personnel thng - but have you looked at the Swrovski 8x30 CLs (the latest Companion version)? I have a pair that are a perfect walking/hiking binocular to go with my x42 ELs. They seem to meet your criteria perfectly.

Last edited:
Ruud,

I think you have received some good advice in the last few posts but as an owner of a pair of 8x32 Opticron Mg Travellers I thought it might be worth adding this.

The Travellers seem good quality for the price and the partial armouring and focus wheel at the front of the hinge gives them a quirky look. I worry what might happen to the exposed metal casing if they get dropped, but the focus wheel position works well for me and it is moderately fast which I also like. They fall between a 'normal' sized 8x32 and a compact 8x25. When I've compared them I've found compact binoculars a bit fiddly to get a good view with and the Travellers much more satisfactory to look through. As noted they pay for their small size and weight vs a 'normal' 8x32 with a narrow field of view.

I use them a lot for casual observation when out for a stroll with family and (pre-lockdown) friends, when out on a cycle ride or out fellwalking - in other words when the main aim of the trip is not birdwatching.

I do not use them when I go out specially to watch birds - instead I take a 'normal' size 8x32 (also an Opticron, but with a wider field of view and better optics), an 8x42 (the FOV on this is also a bit narrow, but it is a Porro prism design, is better in low light and gives a sharper view) or, if I expect longer range views (such as over a lake or on the beach), a 10x42.

Ruud5: My advice is to buy from a reputable factory authorized dealer that offers a good return policy and don't try to squeeze the last Euro out of the deal. (I have limited experience but can attest that the CL is an amazing instrument, as are most the others talked about here. Bright, super-sharp image, and very well crafted.)

Ruud,

I think you have received some good advice in the last few posts but as an owner of a pair of 8x32 Opticron Mg Travellers I thought it might be worth adding this.

The Travellers seem good quality for the price and the partial armouring and focus wheel at the front of the hinge gives them a quirky look. I worry what might happen to the exposed metal casing if they get dropped, but the focus wheel position works well for me and it is moderately fast which I also like. They fall between a 'normal' sized 8x32 and a compact 8x25. When I've compared them I've found compact binoculars a bit fiddly to get a good view with and the Travellers much more satisfactory to look through. As noted they pay for their small size and weight vs a 'normal' 8x32 with a narrow field of view.

I use them a lot for casual observation when out for a stroll with family and (pre-lockdown) friends, when out on a cycle ride or out fellwalking - in other words when the main aim of the trip is not birdwatching.

I do not use them when I go out specially to watch birds - instead I take a 'normal' size 8x32 (also an Opticron, but with a wider field of view and better optics), an 8x42 (the FOV on this is also a bit narrow, but it is a Porro prism design, is better in low light and gives a sharper view) or, if I expect longer range views (such as over a lake or on the beach), a 10x42.

Yes, I recieved very good advice from all the posts over here but your advice was special for me. So I ordered the Traveller Mg 8x32 to get general experience with a binocular. The first time I saw it, and I had it in my hands, I had the idea there was something from quality. And yes, the narrow view is a min. But the weight and dimensions are what I wanted. < 400 gramms in a Magnesium and compact body. It feels better than a compact. So I shall use it.
After my experience with this one, and I like it, I shall orient me on one for birding. A light one in magnesium..;)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back