• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a 7x42 SLC to go with the recent and now discontinued 8/10x (1 Viewer)

The latest and greatest SLC 7x42 was the NEU. After that the 7x42 was discontinued by Swarovski.

Swarovski still makes the 7x42 Habicht, both in black and green armored.

The FOV is smaller than some others, but the view is special and very good.

Jerry

If I already had the P model Dialyt AND the FL, I wouldn't bother with trying to acquire another 7x42, unless I was a massive Swarovski fan. That said, comments relating to the 7x42 SLC appear very positive, except for its weight (I was going to suggest you correspond with dwatsonbirder as I recalled this was his work horse for many years, but see he's already replied). Trying before buying would be (as always with these things) the best policy, but they're not too common, so you might have to wait a while to do so - though cooling one's ardour might not be a bad thing...

I have the 7x42 Dialyt and, though it still delivers a great image, the bridge setup is a potential weak point of this design - mine was a little wonky when it came to me (resolved after service by ECBR, thank you Mr Hawkins) and other owners have also noted instances where this has happened to them - and although a lot of 7x42 Dialyt owners use them much harder than I do mine, if truly hard usage a la dwatsonbirder is in store for your 7x42, I can see why something like the SLC or the Leica BA/BN might be preferred. A pity Zeiss never updated the old Hensoldt design - those excellent optics in a chassis similar to the 8x30 and 10x40 Dialyts would have been a superb package. They could then also have made a 10x42, with Abbe-Koening prisms...

My favorite 7x42 is the Zeiss BGATP/ClassiC. It has excellent handling properties, rapid focus, 450 ft FOV, easy eye positioning, reasonable weight, and less off-axis astigmatism than the FL. If I could overlook the astigmatism, and wanted even better waterproofing or consistent focus performance at extreme (high or low) temperatures, I'd get the FL. The FL is also an excellent choice for all-purpose use as it focuses to a class-leading 6 ft. Swarovski and Leica alternatives, by comparison, suffer some combination of failings such as high weight, focus that doesn't work as well with gloves, 420 ft FOV, poor close focus, much more CA (esp. off-axis), and not so generous eye-relief for glasses.

--AP

Good points about the weight and close focus. I have the Dialyt BG/AT*P* and agree with you; very nice handling and easy view etc. Another one that is good is the EDG but with a narrower FOV and possible worries about parts and servicing. Gary Hawkins gave my second hand eBay and light signs of use Dialyt a service and it's as good as new. Being Zeiss the service was completely FOC; all it cost me was fuel as I like to drive there.

I realize now that on the FL the focus is actually almost as good as on the Nikon.

Tom

If I already had the P model Dialyt AND the FL, I wouldn't bother with trying to acquire another 7x42, unless I was a massive Swarovski fan. That said, comments relating to the 7x42 SLC appear very positive, except for its weight (I was going to suggest you correspond with dwatsonbirder as I recalled this was his work horse for many years, but see he's already replied). Trying before buying would be (as always with these things) the best policy, but they're not too common, so you might have to wait a while to do so - though cooling one's ardour might not be a bad thing...

I have the 7x42 Dialyt and, though it still delivers a great image, the bridge setup is a potential weak point of this design - mine was a little wonky when it came to me (resolved after service by ECBR, thank you Mr Hawkins) and other owners have also noted instances where this has happened to them - and although a lot of 7x42 Dialyt owners use them much harder than I do mine, if truly hard usage a la dwatsonbirder is in store for your 7x42, I can see why something like the SLC or the Leica BA/BN might be preferred. A pity Zeiss never updated the old Hensoldt design - those excellent optics in a chassis similar to the 8x30 and 10x40 Dialyts would have been a superb package. They could then also have made a 10x42, with Abbe-Koening prisms...

I have to say that really all I would need most of the time is either the Dialyt or the FL and I feel very lucky to have both. The 10x42 SLC is special as well. None of my kit gets very hard use as the tough outdoor side of things tends to come from other interests but it's interesting to try different makes and ages of equipment.

Tom

Swarovski still makes the 7x42 Habicht, both in black and green armored.

The FOV is smaller than some others, but the view is special and very good.

Jerry

Sometime I know I should try one but at the moment it just doesn't grab me; I have no idea why! Perhaps out of fear it's another item I'd want to have.

Tom

I have a 7x42 Leica BR (2004)that was repaired and optically upgraded by Leica a few years ago. I also have a 7X42 SLC that I purchased second hand after it was refurbished and upgraded with a new serial number by Swarovski.

The Leica is deadly sharp in the center field and, for most people, a solid performer. For me, the edges are often distracting and there's a bit too much CA in some circumstances. Eye relief is barely enough for my eyeglasses. If it was the only bin I owned, however, I could be content.

The SLC is better for me for a few reasons. Edge sharpness, though not perfect, is never a distraction. CA control is not perfect but it's rarely a problem. Eye relief is exceptional in the SLC. Weight is not a problem because I carry it bandolier style.

The SLC is my go to 7X42. I cannot part with the Ultravid but, truthfully, I don't use it very much. It's a great loaner!

That is very useful to know. I think assuming all else is working fine the decision to get one will come down to weight, handling, and cost. I have to say that during the long spring and early summer quarantine there has been plenty of time to experience Swarovski quality of view and judging from everyone's comments this is a great model if handling and weight suit the user's way of working.

Mine is a SLC 7X42B NEU and was made in 2008. It features SWAROBRIGHT and Easy to Clean. That's probably pretty close to the last year they were made. It's comes across as the highest quality SLC I have and maybe any Swarovski binocular period. The focus adjustment is probably the best of any Swarovski binocular I've ever owned. Documents included with it indicate:

ER- 19mm
FOV- 420ft/1000yds
Diopter adjustment- +/- 3
Close focus- 13ft
Weight- 33.5oz

One thing I've noticed is previous versions don't have the same case. A few pics will be included at the bottom.

For sure I've never had ANY reason to purchase any other 7X42. This binocular is superb. It lags slightly behind the current UVHD+ and Meostar B.1 in terms of light transmission and with the FL a little more so. In the field of course this is really never noticed. I think this model would be a nice addition for you.

Chuck, you are so right. I am enjoying this 7x42B Neu very much indeed. It handles beautifully and your comments about focusing coincide with my findings. A great bin and fun to use! I know what you mean about light transmission but as you say not a practical issue when not comparing but actually using.

Best wishes,

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back