• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Looking for a good 10x42 (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
The Eyecups on the tracts 10X42 have a wide OD, and the last eye cup extension is pretty much useless, so as always see if the shoe fits. The optics in the 10X42 are very good for the price, and they are built well.
Thanks, for that information. The eye cup diameter makes a big difference in avoiding black-outs.

[email protected]

Supporter
The Eyecups on the tracts 10X42 have a wide OD, and the last eye cup extension is pretty much useless, so as always see if the shoe fits. The optics in the 10X42 are very good for the price, and they are built well.
I received the Tract Toric 10x42 and compared it to my Meopta Meopro Air 10x42 and I chose the Meopta because it had considerably better optics for only a $300 difference in price. The Meopta is much closer to alpha quality than the Tract with a much bigger sweet spot and much sharper edges. I think it is a little sharper on-axis also with a more transparent image. The Meopta also has considerably less CA than the Tract. I also prefer the open bridge on the Meopta which mimics the Swarovski EL because you can hold it with one hand easier. Also, the build quality of the Meopta is considerably better than the Tract being very close to the Swarovski EL in fit and finish. It was a pretty easy quick decision for me which one to keep. The Tract was returned.

Last edited:

dries1

The FOV on the Air is 7 for the 8X42 and for the 10X42 6.3?

Correction, the FOV for the Meopta air 8X42 is 7.2 and the 10X42 is 6.5, pretty much the same specs specific to FOV as the Tracts.

Last edited:

chill6x6

New...I've had Conquest HD 10X42 for several years. EXCELLENT binocular. For the money I'm not sure you can beat is.
The ideal of a used, excellent condition SLC or FL sounds good to me too. I've never owned a new SLC but have owned a couple of FLs...can't tell them from new usually.

Upland

Pretty happy with my Torics for less than half the price of the Meoptas. The Pro Airs are good looking and nice to hear the optics are good as well. Not sure why Meopta decided to use the the MeoPro name though as those are quite mediocre and don’t handle glare well. One would think Meopta would come up with a new name to avoid any association. Maybe just MeoAir.

Upland

Interesting comment on eyecup size as well. Small eyecups always cause blackouts for me. The Torics are quite standard for a full size bino and I’ve not experienced blackouts with them. I suppose different face shapes, eye socket size, and how one holds the glasses to ones face makes a difference. Glad there are lots of different options out there so we can all find what works best for us.

Users who are viewing this thread