• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a good 10x42 (1 Viewer)

pluton

Hello,
have used some 8x42 and some 10x50 models, I think I like the 10x magnification better.

So right now I'm looking for advice on a 10x42 that has a very good contrast, brilliance and sharpness .. But I don't want to pay a millionaire either, my ceiling is around 1000 euros, I have seen that among the contenders would be .... Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, Nikon HG 10x42, Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 ...
Or some Zeiss Victory FL. 10x42 second hands?

I suppose there are some more, I would be happy to hear your advice ... Something important is that the model to choose should not have any blackout when observing, very annoying for me. .

Thanks a lot
Pluto.

Last edited:
The Tract Toric optics are excellent for $600. You get close to alpha views with very average build and ergonomics. I guess the good stuff is in the glass. Very sharp, nice colors,...no blackouts (for me) and very good glare control. ...Kinda like if you had a Buick with a Hemi in it.

If you were able to find a pair of Steiner Discovery (Peregrine XP in North America, Here) 10x44, it would most likely be well under your price limit and provide you with alpha views. It also might have gone by Nighthunter XP in Europe at one point as well. Steiner seems to really like changing the names on many of their models without changing anything other than the name.

It’s optics are on par with the first generation Swarovski EL binoculars. Bright, true colors, excellent contrast, and razor sharp. The 44mm objectives really do seem to help with keeping a brighter image longer in low light conditions compared to 42mm binoculars. I would have only thought that was yet another Steiner gimmick until I tried it...and I have now owned a pair of Peregrine XP 8x44 for about 5 years now. I can’t say a bad thing about them.

Otherwise, maybe give Meopta MeoStars a try. They are wonderful binoculars as well.

One thing to keep in mind though, stay far, far away from Steiner Wildlife XP binos! While Steiner claims they are the newest and greatest binocular, they are many steps backwards. They have the worst internal reflections I have ever experienced in binoculars. Sharp, true colors, and well built, but the reflections wash the image out and make them almost unusable in full sun.

Last edited:
I recently was looking for a good 10x42 and I considered an SLC 10x42, but they are a little difficult to find new especially with any kind of discount and I only wanted to spend about $1000, so I was in your position. I tried the Leica Trinovid 10x42, the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 and the new Meopta Meopro Air 10x42. The Leica was a "floater" for me meaning the eye cups were too short for the eye relief, so it was out. The Zeiss Conquest HD had great optics, and they were very bright, but I had a ring of light around the FOV almost like I was seeing beyond the field stop, so it was out. The Nikon is bright and has a big FOV, but it had too much CA especially on the edge for me, so it was out. I chose the Meopta Meopro 10x42 because it ticked more of my boxes than any of the other choices. It is Meopta's new model, and it is more modern looking and lighter than the Meostars, and it has an open bridge like the Swarovski EL, so it is very comfortable in your hands. Optically I find it equal to the Meostar for less money. Your preferences and physiology are different, so the best thing is to try these four and see which one you prefer. If the Zeiss or Leica work for you, they are also very nice binoculars. I have the SLC 8x42 and I find the Meopta Meopro Air 10x42 to be every bit as good quality wise and optic wise as the SLC.

Attachments

• aton_file_000000000016601_4AFB03FE2CE92A449EA0AFEEF509A7B0.jpg
    aton_file_000000000016601_4AFB03FE2CE92A449EA0AFEEF509A7B0.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 18
  • si34210.jpg
    si34210.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 17
I suppose there are some more, I would be happy to hear your advice ... Something important is that the model to choose should not have any blackout when observing, very annoying for me. .
Hello Pluto,

do you use eyeglasses?
Whether binoculars blackouts or not can not be said in general, with some benefits some occur, with others again not, should be tried out for yourself!

For 1000,- Euro you already get a used SLC 10x42, the Zeiss Victory 10x42 is also very good but a well-preserved is rarer to find!
If you don't use eyeglasses, a Swarovski Habicht 10x40 would be conceivable?!
In the "Subalpha class" I would recommend the Conquest!

Andreas

The HGs are nice because they are lightweight and have a wide fov. If weight doesn’t matter the SLC would be a good one but I’m not fond of the focuser and still can’t understand how such an expensive glass can have such a bad one. If weight isn’t a problem at all I’d throw the Kowa Genesis in there. Best CA control of anything on the market. Can’t comment on the MeoPro Air as I have not seen them. The Conquests have a very finicky focus and I could never keep them in focus. The Tracts are essentially the same bino but less expensive and a slightly slower focus that is very nice and easy to keep in focus. Probably not available on your side of the pond though.

The HGs are nice because they are lightweight and have a wide fov. If weight doesn’t matter the SLC would be a good one but I’m not fond of the focuser and still can’t understand how such an expensive glass can have such a bad one. If weight isn’t a problem at all I’d throw the Kowa Genesis in there. Best CA control of anything on the market. Can’t comment on the MeoPro Air as I have not seen them. The Conquests have a very finicky focus and I could never keep them in focus. The Tracts are essentially the same bino but less expensive and a slightly slower focus that is very nice and easy to keep in focus. Probably not available on your side of the pond though.
Upland. Are the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 and Tract Toric HD 10x42 the same binocular? Are they both made by Kamakura?

My understanding is they are both made by Kamkura. It’s very common in the optics Industry for one manufacturer to make the same bino with a different body style for different companies. They spec out the same and the differences like focus speed and contrast due to different coatings are subtle but noticeable.

Hi,

looking at those two bins (Conquest HD and Tract Toric) they indeed look very similar and so are their technical data... it is quite possible that both are built by Kamakura in Japan (we know that the Conquest is).

Joachim

My understanding is they are both made by Kamkura. It’s very common in the optics Industry for one manufacturer to make the same bino with a different body style for different companies. They spec out the same and the differences like focus speed and contrast due to different coatings are subtle but noticeable.
That is good to know. If you buy a Tract Toric you are really getting close to a Zeiss Conquest HD for $300 less. I wonder if there is any difference in the eye cup extension on the Tract Toric 10x42 versus the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42? I like the Zeiss Conquest HD, but I need a little bit longer eye cups to avoid blackouts. I wonder if the Tract Torics eye cups are any longer.

Speaking of ’made in Japan’ binoculars I snatched a new Vixen Artes J 10x42 for $300 on Amazon yesterday. The price was suspiciously low but no third party sale, Amazon stock, free returns. They’ve now re-listed them for $449. Hope they’re good. I already have an old Vixen astro bins, 15x80, which I like.

That is good to know. If you buy a Tract Toric you are really getting close to a Zeiss Conquest HD for $300 less. I wonder if there is any difference in the eye cup extension on the Tract Toric 10x42 versus the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42? I like the Zeiss Conquest HD, but I need a little bit longer eye cups to avoid blackouts. I wonder if the Tract Torics eye cups are any longer.
The Toric eyecups are longer. However Zeiss makes a longer eyecup for the Conquest. They’ll send you a pair for free if you call them.

Another option that might be worth a look. Opticron just came out with a new flagship, made in Japan, model the Aurora BGA and the specs look good in the 10x42.

Another option that might be worth a look. Opticron just came out with a new flagship, made in Japan, model the Aurora BGA and the specs look good in the 10x42.
Oops scratch that. Ran across that when I was looking for a 10x42 for myself. Discontinued model. Their current top of the line DBA VHD+ might be worth a look though.

The Toric eyecups are longer. However Zeiss makes a longer eyecup for the Conquest. They’ll send you a pair for free if you call them.
I might try the Tract Toric 10x42 then. I asked Zeiss once to send me the longer eye cups when I had a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and I never did get them.

The Eyecups on the tracts 10X42 have a wide OD, and the last eye cup extension is pretty much useless, so as always see if the shoe fits. The optics in the 10X42 are very good for the price, and they are built well.

I just chanced upon these beauties, I would be interested to know if anyone has tried them yet and would be willing to share their experiences or thoughts?

View attachment 1375370We have been fortunate to take a look at Opticron's new flagship #binocular, the Aurora BGA VHD.

Available next month in both 8x42 and 10x42 models, we believe these to be the finest binoculars available for under £1000.

Yes, they really are that good!

Featuring an impressively wide field of view of 8.1° (8x42) they are just the right mixture of weight and balance coupled with superb optical quality.

Key features include:
• Compact, lightweight roof prism design
• Nitrogen gas filled waterproof
• VHD optical system with field flattening technology
• High quality ED glass objective system
• Long eye relief for spectacle wearers
• Close focus to under 1.9m
• Made in Japan
• 30 year guarantee

Click the link below for further details:
Posted Sunday in the Opticron section.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back