• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for advice on attracting Orioles [South Central Minnesota] (1 Viewer)

nocomply65

First of all, thank you for having me in the forum. I live in a suburb outside of the Twin Cities on the outskirts of a town where I'm practically in the woods, so observing wildlife while listening to music in my living room has been my go-to decompressing activity since living there.

I saw Orioles feeding from my suet feeder a little more than a week ago, so I got myself an Oriole nectar feeder. It isn't the highest quality, but the only one I could find in a store. It's orange with plenty large perches. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen a single one to it yet and I’m wondering if it’s too late now. It’s placed in my front living room window which faces the south side of the house and is on the second level, so it gets sun. Perhaps that is a mistake?

I'm happy to answer questions to offer more precise advice for myself, also happy to provide pictures once I get home tonight if that's helpful.

Anyway, just also tips in general, well sourced articles, etc. Perhaps if I goofed it this year I can do better next spring. Thank you!

Hi, and welcome to the forum. The orange nectar feeder is definitely a good start. Other things would be orange halves, and grape jelly. Both meet with great success with the orioles in Arizona. You might try putting the feeder(s) near the same location as your suet feeders since they have fed there before. It takes a few days for the birds to find new feeders. Good luck.

A shame you can't plant palm trees up there in Minnesota--the Hooded Orioles love them.

I've had considerable luck with grapefruit halves. But that was in Arizona. I suspect that any leftover jelly works.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back