• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for mid-range 8x32s (1 Viewer)

Bob_McBob

Canada
My main binoculars are the 2018 Viper HD 8x42. I've been quite happy with them for birding, but I only tend to carry them when I specifically plan to set up and observe somewhere because of the size and weight (today I was watching beavers across a river!). I'm looking for a more compact pair I can toss in a coat pocket or at least have with me on a more regular basis when I don't want to break out the Vipers. I'm in Canada and here are some of the options I've been considering, with prices in USD.

$331 - Nikon Monarch 7 8x30, 435g, 119mm x 123mm (on special)
$358 - Kowa BD II XD 8x32, 540g, 116mm x 124mm
$368 - Opticron Traveler BGA ED 8x32, 451g, 119mm x 115mm
$482 - Kite Lynx HD 8x30, 461g, 120mm x 114mm
$525 - Maven B3 8x30, 461g, 119mm x 117mm

I don't wear glasses, and weight and size are primary concerns. I would also prefer to not go much higher than the Maven since I'd rather have spare cash to spend on upgrading the Vipers in the future, so something like the Conquest HD 8x32 fails on both counts. The Kowa also stands out as a bit larger and heavier than the other options, while also being a fairly new model.

Unfortunately it's not practical for me to try any of these in person before buying. The Maven in particular is the most expensive pair under consideration and would have to be special ordered from the US, complicating any potential return. I gather the Nikon, Opticron, and Kite are fairly similar optically, though people often seem to prefer one over the others, and in particular complain about glare with the Monarch 7. I actually demoed a pair of 8x42 Monarch 7 last summer and nearly kept it instead of the Viper, so I'm pretty familiar with their build quality. They are also appealing for the special price, though I'd be happy to pay a bit more if necessary.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the options I'm considering or something else I might add to the list?

Hi Bob and welcome to BirdForum. You are asking a very good but very broad question.

To keep it short and simple, I own several Nikons, Kowas, Opticrons, Vortex and one Maven but none of the specific formats you mention and have never tried a Kite although they seem to get mostly positive reviews from experienced people.

Since you have and like the 8x42 Viper HD and are willing to consider the size and weight of the new Kowa, I recommend you consider the 6.5x rather than the 8x. I do own and love the new Kowa 6.5. Also the reviews here of the other Kowa formats seem somewhat mixed whereas reviews of the 6.5 are mostly positive. And since you already have a good 8, the 6.5 has very different specs or characteristics (much greater FOV and DOF) and therefore IMO would be a better complement to what you already have. In other words, mid level 8x42s and 8x32s are likely to be very similar in performance except in low light so you may enjoy and get more use out of a good binocular with very different specs than your 8x42.

You will likely get a lot of input from experts here who actually own all the specific models you mention. Good luck with your search and let us know how it goes.

Mike

Without a doubt the best value on your list is the Nikon M7 8x30 and it would give you good performance in a compact size. You also said you liked the Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 so I bet you will like the 8x30 also.

Thank you for adding your thoughts. I've spent a lot of time on Bird Forum over the last year, and I thought it was time to finally start posting! I realize my question is rather broad; I find when I'm trying to make this type of decision, it's helpful to gather my thoughts together in a post like this and get a bit of feedback from more knowledgeable people, so really anything is helpful.

The 6.5x32 Kowas have been on my radar throughout my research, and I know they have a bit of a cult following because they're somewhat unique. Allbinos mentions issues with field curvature etc. though I gather that is not unusual with this type of spec. The point about mid-level 8x32 and 8x42 binoculars performing similarly in many conditions is excellent, and something I hadn't really considered. Most of my binocular usage is in the daytime where the extra performance of the 8x42 doesn't come into play much, so it may be silly to replicate the magnification. On the other hand, my hiking locations don't really qualify as "scenic panoramic views" so I am really more interested in looking at wildlife, to the point I had actually considered purchasing some 10x42s before deciding a compact companion pair for the Vipers would make more sense. Today I was watching a family of beavers from across a river, and I'm not sure 6.5x would have cut it. I will add them to the list though (going the wrong way here adding more models :-O).

Of those on your list I only have experience of the Monarch's and the Opticron's. I'd go with the Opticron's. They didn't noticeably have the glare problem that the Monarch's did and had better feel in the hand (I didn't care much for the rubber armouring on the Monarch's that felt a bit loose/spongy on the copy I tried). Hopefully Pbosh can comment further as he's owned both, but I believe prefers the Opticron's. Also both weigh the same, but the Monarch's have a couple of extra milimeters on the objects with associated advantages. For the money I think they really deliver.

I have (and like a lot) the Nikon M7 8x30 and the Kowa 8x32 BD XD. I have tried the Kite Lynx a couple of times on a shop (directly comparing them to the MHG 8x30); no experience with the Opticron or the Maven.
Given that all but the Kowa are closely related, it will be a matter of "feel". I would not necessarily rule out the Kowa, they're a very nice glass. Their FOV is only 7,5º, but they are sharp to the very edge, as I commented once around here. However, they're heavier and definitely feel clunkier; 100 g in a 400 g binocular makes a biiiiiig difference, especially considering this is one of your main concerns. For me, that puts the Kowa altogether in a different category, at least to my eyes.
Between the Kite and the Nikon, the FOV is (on paper) a bit wider on the Kite, but both are more than OK. "Feel"-wise, I don't particularly like the Kite. They are supposed to be a little better (metal eyecups, bette performance??), but I'm not sure they're worth that difference. When I hold them in my hands, I didn't like the texture of the rubber armour. The rubber on the Nikon M7 is very soft and grippy. Some people don't like it: I do. It is true that if you squeeze them hardly, there is a certain "give", while the rubber in the Kite is harder, to my eyes it does not look any more "premium". One important feature I didn't like about the Kite is that the eyecups are whether all in or all out, no intermediate stops, while the Nikon does have intermediate eyecup positions.

I like the ease of use of the M7; it is so nimble, such a joy to use, it feels lighter than it actually is (while some other "light" binoculars as the 8x30 SW new Companion feel -at least to me- heavier than their scale weight). Besides, the strap provided, while not the small is really comfy (actually, given its small size, I'm sure they could do with a thinner one). I've done 7+ hour treks on 10.000 ft mountains with them and not noticed I had them on my neck for that long.
Another minor point; the lens covers on the Kite are not really useful, while the ones on the M7 are just perfect. They snap into position and avoid dust, water or any other aggressive object from damaging the lenses (I've taken the M7 kayaking on the open sea, they were all drenched with sea salt and no problem whatsoever).

Regarding the size; while I can squeeze them on the pocket of my raincoat (without case; luckily they have objective covers), I would not consider them a "pocket binocular".

Finally, an important detail if considering the purchase of an M7. I've had two units. One had a serial number lesser than 1000, and the other one had a serial number higher than 30.000. The latter is simply better. Not only does it suffer less glare, but it has higher contrast and is sharper. I'm not sure whether it has to do with improvement of the series over time, or simply a matter of quality control between two units. But it can be worth taking your time to test at least a couple of units if possible.

Regarding the "repetitive" 8x format; well, I know 10x30 is not necessarily an ideal, but it could also be worth investigating. From the many 8x32 I've owned and tried over the last months (a handful), the Monarch 7 have, surprisingly one of the easiest views, contrary to what the format would lead to believe.
I've bought both my M7 second hand (one from a fellow forum member here in BF) for really nice prices, I'm sure with a little time you can also find a great deal. The official retail price is however, very attractive as it is.
Do let us know what you finally decide.

It sounds like either the Monarch 7 or Opticron Traveller would work fine for my purposes. Opticron seems to win on warranty as well as having a slightly larger exit pupil and better eye relief, though they have no presence in Canada and only one dealer (Urban Nature Store). Kite and Maven seem to offer little for the extra money, and I can't even purchase the Maven in Canada.

The 6.5x32 Kowa is an interesting option I hadn't really seriously considered. It is worth noting the new BDII series has significantly wider FOV than the original, with the 8x32 at 8.8° and the 6.5x32 at a whopping 10°. I am concerned 6.5x wouldn't be enough magnification for rambling in the woods, and the added weight is also a significant consideration considering why I'm buying them in the first place.

I do realize none of these are really "pocket" binoculars, and for that I'd probably have go down to something like the 8x25 Terra ED, or even the inexpensive 7x28 Maven C2, which is available in Canada on amazon.ca. I'm not sure any binocular that size would really be satisfactory compared to the Viper HD though.

I have the Maven B3 and the Opticron Traveller ED. I also had a Moinarch 7 for a few weeks for review. The Maven B3 is hands down the best binocular of the three. It won't give up anything to the Zeiss Conquest either.

I have the Maven B3 and the Opticron Traveller ED. I also had a Moinarch 7 for a few weeks for review. The Maven B3 is hands down the best binocular of the three. It won't give up anything to the Zeiss Conquest either.

I was afraid of that! What about the Maven did you prefer?

I went ahead and ordered a pair of Monarch 7 from a large retailer before the special pricing ended. That should give me a baseline to decide whether I like the form factor and whether it's worth going for something pricier like the Maven. In all likelihood the Monarch 7 will be perfectly fine for my needs, but I really appreciate the discussion and will keep the thread updated.

I was afraid of that! What about the Maven did you prefer?

I went ahead and ordered a pair of Monarch 7 from a large retailer before the special pricing ended. That should give me a baseline to decide whether I like the form factor and whether it's worth going for something pricier like the Maven. In all likelihood the Monarch 7 will be perfectly fine for my needs, but I really appreciate the discussion and will keep the thread updated.

What did I prefer on the Maven? Pretty much everything. It has a wider fov, better contrast, brighter, and the eye cup extension better matches the eye relief, something some users of the x30-32 mm class have some issue with.

Maven glass always more directly compares a league above its price point. The Maven is a better comparison with the Zeiss Conquest and the Swarovski CL. How they compare will be a matter of some discussion, but the better comparison is there. Edit to add, for the price, there really is not a better binocular than the Maven B3.

Yeah, you will most likely find the Monarch 7 a pretty good binocular, because that is what it is. Just take it out and use it. If it has faults that bother you, time will tell the tale. Go looking for faults,you will find them, for they exist in all binoculars. Once you start finding faults, be prepared to spend some money. But my ranking of your list is Maven, Traveller, then Monarch 7. I haven't seen the others so I can't comment.

Last edited:
It sounds like either the Monarch 7 or Opticron Traveller would work fine for my purposes......

The 6.5x32 Kowa is an interesting option I hadn't really seriously considered. It is worth noting the new BDII series has significantly wider FOV than the original, with the 8x32 at 8.8° and the 6.5x32 at a whopping 10°. I am concerned 6.5x wouldn't be enough magnification for rambling in the woods, and the added weight is also a significant consideration considering why I'm buying them in the first place.

I do realize none of these are really "pocket" binoculars, and for that I'd probably have go down to something like the 8x25 Terra ED, or even the inexpensive 7x28 Maven C2, which is available in Canada on amazon.ca. I'm not sure any binocular that size would really be satisfactory compared to the Viper HD though.

Bob,

In the event you don't like the Monarch for whatever reason:

If the size and weight alone of the Kowa 6.5 is a deal breaker for your purposes it makes good sense for you to scratch it off the list. However, regarding your concern with the 6.5x mag, I was really surprised and impressed by how much more useful and enjoyable the 6.5x mag is as compared to a 6x for general wildlife and birding. Two very different animals to my eyes anyway.

The Terra 8x25 would be an excellent choice. I actually prefer the ergos of the Terra over the SW 8x25. You might even consider the Terra in 10x25 since you have your 8x42, but I've never looked through the Terra 10

The Maven 7x28 is good news and one bit of bad news. Nice bright sharp clear steady image and 4mm EP (!) in a larger/cargo pocket format and decent FOV of 341'. But the 7x28 format and $200 price means a very narrow AFOV, only 45.5, which is a personal pet peeve of mine. If you can abide that one spec, the Maven would be a reasonable choice.

Mike

Last edited:
I was hoping to spend the weekend testing the Monarch 7, but Canada Post disagreed with that plan so I'll have to wait until Monday. I think just holding and using it for a bit should give me a good idea of whether I'm on the right track. I'm not at all opposed to moving up to the Maven B3 if it seems like the right choice after handling the M7. It's unfortunate I can't get them up here though.

With respect to even more compact binoculars like the 8x25 Terra, I rather like the idea of also having a pair I can just slip into cargo pants or a jacket pocket, but I suspect the larger 8x32 class is probably what I'm after first. I know from trying a ton of pairs before choosing the Viper HD that blackouts and fiddly eye positioning bug me a lot, so I worry about models with smaller exit pupils like the 8x25 Terra even though they are clearly a popular and appropriate choice. It's unfortunate about the AFOV of the Maven 7x28, which even even worse using the ISO standard at 43.35°!

A binocular with an 8* field of view has an 8* field of view. Calculate the same fov either way, the simple way or the iso way, you get an afov of 64*, the Iso way is 56*. Same binocular, same fov. It seems the simple way vs the Iso way is kind of silly. OK, the Iso may be mathematically correct. Since the standard wide field designation with the simple way is 60*, the the wide field of the Iso needs to be set at 56*. Again the two figures change nothing, your eye still sees the world through the real 8* angular fov. However no matter how you figure it, the Maven 7x28 is just way too narrow.

You are likely right about the Monarch. It is a good binocular. Just let it speak for itself when you get it.

It seems the simple way vs the Iso way is kind of silly. OK, the Iso may be mathematically correct.
It may be correct, but it might just as well not be correct. That just depends on the distortions in the binocular.
I have two binoculars with the same magnification and the same measured FOV. Yet the AFOV is significantly different, it's a lot narrower in the one having noticeable AMD.

If you expect to be "rambling in the woods" as you noted in Thread #8 above; the Kowa 6.5x32 would be an excellent binocular to take with you. You would have a binocular with both a very wide real FOV and great depth of field!

Bob

Last edited:
If you expect to be "rambling in the woods" as you noted in Thread #8 above; the Kowa 6.5x32 would be an excellent binocular to take with you. You would have a binocular with both a very wide real FOV and great depth of field!

Bob

Absolutely right Bob.

Lee

I have had M7 8x30 for a year and I use it really a lot for birding. I have been happy with it. :t: Bright clear pic with no slack focus wheel. Light and handy in size. Only the known glare problem is sometimes annoying.

True Story: I was in a trip in a bird fair and one of our group was newcomer birder with some cheap bins. I said to her that I test your bins to see if they are any good, and you can test my M7. Her bins were really crappy. When she looked trought my M7 her jaw almost dropped - it was like getting your eyesight back. o:D She did buy M7 from the bird fair...

I have had M7 8x30 for a year and I use it really a lot for birding. I have been happy with it. :t: Bright clear pic with no slack focus wheel. Light and handy in size. Only the known glare problem is sometimes annoying.

True Story: I was in a trip in a bird fair and one of our group was newcomer birder with some cheap bins. I said to her that I test your bins to see if they are any good, and you can test my M7. Her bins were really crappy. When she looked trought my M7 her jaw almost dropped - it was like getting your eyesight back. o:D She did buy M7 from the bird fair...

I have a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x30, I also have Vortex Razor 8x42.. I really like the Nikon’s. They are my go to binocular. . When yours finally arrive, be sure to let us have you thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back