• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for mid-range 8x32s (1 Viewer)

Another quick update. The eyecups on the B3 are absurdly easy to remove, and adding a spacer considerably improves viewing comfort for me in terms of eye placement and blackouts. They have regular threading and just twist off counter-clockwise after the stop. I haven't figured out how much width I can get away with yet, but the diameter is about 29.5mm. A black square o-ring would fit right in and look like it came from the factory that way.

I have to say though, I don't understand why so many manufacturers are using eyecups that are just a bit too short in this size of binocular. It's such a common complaint, and it's not like a few mm extra would make any real difference. At least Zeiss actually addressed the issue with the Conquest 8x32.
If you want perfect eye cup extension length try a Nikon EDG 8x32 or a Zeiss 8x32 FL.

And, the member has purchased some - helpful to occassionally read the latest post but denco does enjoy promoting his beloved Nikon EDG at every opportunity.

The o-rings I ordered arrived today. There's a little slot at the base of the eyepiece threading you can see in my previous photo, and they're a perfect fit; they extend the eyecups just enough to let me settle them comfortably into my eye sockets without major blackouts, and the action and click stops function perfectly. I wouldn't call it a comfortable view compared to the Viper HD, but that's to be expected, and I'm very happy with the result.

Now I can actually give the Mavens a proper workout, but I think it's safe to say I'll be keeping them. With spring just around the corner I had a good time watching a great blue heron and some beavers today. It's nice to have something I can easily tuck into a hoodie or coat pocket, and I don't even mind the chintzy drawstring bag since it doesn't increase the size much (I also ordered the hard storage case which is nicely made). Overall I still definitely feel they're well worth the price difference over the M7.

For reference, the o-rings are M2 x 29 (i.e. 29mm ID, 33mm OD), just standard Buna-N.

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200316173441228_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200316173441228_COVER.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 116
The o-rings I ordered arrived today. There's a little slot at the base of the eyepiece threading you can see in my previous photo, and they're a perfect fit; they extend the eyecups just enough to let me settle them comfortably into my eye sockets without major blackouts, and the action and click stops function perfectly. I wouldn't call it a comfortable view compared to the Viper HD, but that's to be expected, and I'm very happy with the result.

Now I can actually give the Mavens a proper workout, but I think it's safe to say I'll be keeping them. With spring just around the corner I had a good time watching a great blue heron and some beavers today. It's nice to have something I can easily tuck into a hoodie or coat pocket, and I don't even mind the chintzy drawstring bag since it doesn't increase the size much (I also ordered the hard storage case which is nicely made). Overall I still definitely feel they're well worth the price difference over the M7.

For reference, the o-rings are M2 x 29 (i.e. 29mm ID, 33mm OD), just standard Buna-N.

Thanks for the o-ring tip! Planning to try adding them to mine as well.

I’m dragging up this old thread to say thanks for posting it. I’m looking for the same thing, a smaller format 8x30. The discussions here have been very helpful. I tried a set of the Kowa 6.5x32 BDII and wasn’t impressed so I sent them back. I think I’m going to wait for for a used pair, or a sale/discount on the Maven 8x30.

The GPO Passion ED 8x32 (390 euros) would be a good choice if you are looking for a fair priced 8x32. Performance data/test report can be found on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor.
Gijs van Ginkel

There is a new Monarch M7 8x30 coming out next month. $480 from Nikon. There is a post about it in the Nikon forum

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back