• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for Peruvian animal field guides (1 Viewer)

SLopezM

Sergio López Martín
Hello everyone! I will visit Peru this summer and I am starting to look for some field guides. I will spend most of the time in the rainforest areas of Madre de Dios and Cusco departments, but I will try to visit some other habitats too (including the coastline).

Since birds are one of my main targets (and the main subject of this website), I have already asked for Peruvian bird guides in a previous post (Any bird guide for Peru?). This new post is intended to cover the rest of animal groups (mammals, reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates, etc.) and even other non-animal taxa such as plants and fungi.

Thanks in advance!

Aside from Neotropical Rainforest Mammals by Emmons, et al., there's not much to recommend as far as I know. There is the Travelers Wildlife Guide series, but much of that will be duplicative of the bird guide--for other groups they just offer a small sample and you can get similar info from websites. I'd suggest taking photos of everything and then submit to iNat for ID.

You might consider the Ecuadorean mammals guide (in Spanish). This is quite good and there's reasonable crossover to Peru

A few other books that aren't field guides to flora or fauna but that you should consider if you are not already aware of them:

A Neotropical Companion: An Introduction to the Animals, Plants, & Ecosystems of the New World Tropics by John Kricher. I have the second edition but there is a completely revised edition out now called "The New Neotropical Companion". I highly recommend this.

Habitats of the World: A Field Guide for Birders, Naturalists and Ecologists by Campbell et al. (2021). Goes into detail about the flora and fauna that are characteristic of 189 different habitats in the world; good coverage of the Neotropics.

Birds of Tropical America: A Watcher's Introduction to Behavior, Breeding, & Diversity (2005) by Steven Hilty. Selected topics and research.

You might consider the Ecuadorean mammals guide (in Spanish). This is quite good and there's reasonable crossover to Peru
Good suggestion. I should qualify my previous remarks by saying that I'm not terribly familiar with what might be available in Spanish.

A few other books that aren't field guides to flora or fauna but that you should consider if you are not already aware of them:

A Neotropical Companion: An Introduction to the Animals, Plants, & Ecosystems of the New World Tropics by John Kricher. I have the second edition but there is a completely revised edition out now called "The New Neotropical Companion". I highly recommend this.

Habitats of the World: A Field Guide for Birders, Naturalists and Ecologists by Campbell et al. (2021). Goes into detail about the flora and fauna that are characteristic of 189 different habitats in the world; good coverage of the Neotropics.

Birds of Tropical America: A Watcher's Introduction to Behavior, Breeding, & Diversity (2005) by Steven Hilty. Selected topics and research.
The new Neotropical companion spanish ed is or was available free for download

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back