• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for species confirmation, and a little info. - California (1 Viewer)

kentiumpro

Bay Area Amateur
This is from my balcony in San Mateo, California (near SF).

I am pretty sure these two could be -

• 1. (Possibly) Buff-bellied Pipit (Anthus rubescens), or American Pipit
  • 2. (Possibly) Dark-eyed junco (Junco hyemalis)

Please let me know, if this could be correct? I am new to watching and have a amateur eye.
Also, the 2 (only one pictured) Juncos are feeding the Pipit. The Pipit also chirps nearly constantly, so I assume it could be very young. Also, the Pipit is larger than the Juncos, so I didn't think it was a very fluffy young Junco.

• 3. Do birds often adopt and feed other species?

I am very curious as to if this is common, or happens to orphans, or maybe even maternal instincts or the loss of their own offspring, etc...

Thanks in advance, very curious!

Attachments

• Combined2.jpg
    Combined2.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 59
The pipit is actually a fledgling brown-headed cowbird. Cowbirds are nest parasites, lying their eggs in the nests of other bird species. The fledglings are then raised by the unknowing nesting birds, in this case the juncos. It’s always odd to see the parents feeding a youngster that is twice their size, never the wiser.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back