• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for the Best Binos for the money (1 Viewer)

My bad I would like to stay within 1200.00 and under. I know there are some great optics at 2000.00-3000.00 and I’d love to spend that but I can’t justify the cost at this time.
I reckon you could snag a good condition, used Leica Ultravid HD Plus in 8x42 for $1,200... and I can't think of anything that can really compete with it without spending significantly more. Alternatively, you could save a few bucks and go for a Conquest HD in 8x42 - it won't have the sexy Alpha looks, craftsmanship and bells & whistles (silky focus wheel, flip-down lens covers, superior eyecups and a killer diopter) of the Leica, but it will go toe-to-toe with it optically. Plus what the Zeiss may lack in finesse it certainly makes up for in build quality / toughness - if you haven't already, make sure you look up the Conquest HD torture test video. Two fantastic choices and I would encourage you to compare them both side-by-side.

Take a look at the Nikon Monarch Hg or the New Opticron Aurora, or if possible a used Meopta Meostar B1, later serial than 15XXXXX. Those would be my choices. Save yourself a few hundred, and you will likely be waiting a long time to get a UV HD+ 8X42 that has low wear for your price range.
Forgot to add, the Trinovid HD is another one worth consideration.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back