• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for Wallace's Standardwing on Halmahera - help needed! (1 Viewer)

Megaloblatta

I am helping a film crew make a 3 part TV series about the great naturalist and co-discoverer of evolution by natural selection, Alfred Russel Wallace. They really want to film male Wallace's Standardwing Bird of Paradise at a lekking site on Halmahera, which is easily accessible and not very far from Ternate Island. I used to know an excellent one in Weda Bay, but very sadly it has been effectively destroyed thanks to a nearby nickel mine.. For some time I have been trying to find an alternative, but all are too remote and difficult to get to. I heard of one at Kali Batu Putih, which is fairly close to Sidangoli, but am not sure it is still possible to see the birds there any more. Details are in this 2006 post: You are being redirected... If you know an active lek and have contact details of someone who can help arrange a trip there then please let me know. Many thanks.

I am helping a film crew make a 3 part TV series about the great naturalist and co-discoverer of evolution by natural selection, Alfred Russel Wallace. They really want to film male Wallace's Standardwing Bird of Paradise at a lekking site on Halmahera, which is easily accessible and not very far from Ternate Island. I used to know an excellent one in Weda Bay, but very sadly it has been effectively destroyed thanks to a nearby nickel mine.. For some time I have been trying to find an alternative, but all are too remote and difficult to get to. I heard of one at Kali Batu Putih, which is fairly close to Sidangoli, but am not sure it is still possible to see the birds there any more. Details are in this 2006 post: You are being redirected... If you know an active lek and have contact details of someone who can help arrange a trip there then please let me know. Many thanks.
I suspect we probably saw birds in 2018 at site you knew within 30 minute walk of Weda Bay Resort. We went with Carlos Bocas from Birdtours Asia who will know if Lek or is still active or could lead you to an alternative.

Attachments

• standardwing.JPG
    standardwing.JPG
    17 MB · Views: 5
  • standardwing2.JPG
    standardwing2.JPG
    14.4 MB · Views: 5
  • standardwing display.JPG
    standardwing display.JPG
    13.5 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread