• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking some good monocular. (1 Viewer)

pluton

Hi,
I need a good monocular, but the Leica Monovid 8x20 passes me the price, I would like to know your opinion about some good alternative to this Monovid .., of good quality but more economical ..
I've seen some models like the Celestron 10x25 or the Opticron T4 Trailfinder, 10x25 and 8x25 ... I don't know!
What opinion do they deserve?
Thank you
Pluto

Hi Pluto,

I’m not at all knowledgeable about monoculars. But as a way to first get an idea of what’s available, try going to the B&H Photo website: https://www.bhphotovideo.com

A) A search under ‘monoculars’ will give 745 results! (with the most expensive at US $13k+ being a thermal imager)

B) You can then set various restrictions - I entered objective diameters from 20 through to 25 mm, and got 35 results

C) You can order them from most to least expensive, to get an idea of what’s worth searching for more detail about

All the best on your quest

John

Last edited:
Hi,
I have been able to make a comparison between two binoculars, Celestron Nature 10x25 and the Optircron T4 8x25 ...

My wife and I have used Zeiss 6x18 monculars for about 23 years for close-focus work and they have been terrific. Although the nominal magnification is only 6x, it increases at very close distances. Highly recommended.

Lee

Monoculars are a lot more difficult to hold steady than binoculars of equivalent magnification, so I think 10x should be avoided.
I also have the 6x18 Zeiss, which performs quite well although one could criticise the rather narrow AFOV.
No personal experience, but the Nikon 5x15 and 7x15 HGs are by all accounts good and you might care to look at Specwell.
The lower magnifications like the 3x12 Zeiss (which I also have) are available on prescription for those with impaired vision, so should be of good quality.
They are however less expensive than Zeiss and in addition, 6x16, 8x20 and 8x30 versions are available with quite respectable FOVs.

John

Pluton,
- Pentax has some nice monoculars: 7x21 if I remember well and 8x30.
- On the market of used monoculars 8x30 Russian ones (porro) are fairly easy to find and not very expensive and a fairly good quality.
- Zeiss also made an 8x30 porro monocular and so did Hertel & Reuss (more difficult to find). Zeiss also made a range of roof monoculars, some of them are already mentioned here.
There are also other brands with monoculars, but you can scan internet to find them (Nikon, Docter, Hartmann, Beck).
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back