• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loon in California, USA (1 Viewer)

AdrianB70

United States
On the Pacific Ocean right off the coast of Santa Barbara, California, on June 14, 2017

I don't see the dark half-collar of Common Loon, so is it safe to call a Pacific Loon?

Attachments

• IMG_3754.JPG
    IMG_3754.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 101
It certainly looked too large-billed in the field for Red-throated, and from what I could discern, it held its bill horizontally. Isn't the neck too dark for Red-throated Loon?

Ah, couldn't see bill clearly from these photos, but if that's how it looked, then yes, I think Pacific Loon is pretty certain. I was getting kind of a reddish vibe on the throat, but I think it's a trick of the light.

Common Loons frequently over-summer on their wintering grounds. These are usually individuals that were in too poor condition to migrate. Probably very few of them survive long.

Andy

Or first-summer birds too young to breed; these usually retain winter-type plumage.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back