• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Los Barrios Dump location (1 Viewer)

Thanks Kevin.

I've just read your reply, having only got back from Spain this evening. I managed to find the dump courtesy of John Cantelo who I met up with over there and had a very enjoyable day out birding with him.

I went to the dump a couple of days later and had great views of a Ruppells as it flew low right over my head.

Great news. We went and to be honest the smell was so bad I couldn't get out of the car. The wind was blowing right across the dump at us. So well done on both see the Ruppells and putting up with the stench.

The vultures (and storks) were approaching from the west into the wind, so to get good views we needed to be on the track near the buildings, left of the entrance. Of course this was downwind of the tip, but the aroma seemed to lessen somehow when this bird rose from the hole behind the buildings amongst a bunch of griffons and came low overhead.

Attachments

• IMG_9190 copy.jpg
    IMG_9190 copy.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 181
Unfortunately that's the only bird I've photographed. The only other one I've seen was three or four years ago when I only had digiscoping gear with me and photography was impossible.

The website http://www.rarebirdspain.net/ has photos and records of other examples going back over recent years and is worth a look. I've sent another photo of the Los Barrios bird to them, but it hasn't been put on yet.

Last edited:
The vultures (and storks) were approaching from the west into the wind, so to get good views we needed to be on the track near the buildings, left of the entrance. Of course this was downwind of the tip, but the aroma seemed to lessen somehow when this bird rose from the hole behind the buildings amongst a bunch of griffons and came low overhead.

That is an unreal shot! Fantastic!!! Hoping to visit Los Barrios next week.
Any tips/pointers on where the best place to watch from is? Not sure how busy it will be in Feb but worth a punt I feel.
Thanks

I don't know what it's like at the moment, but I believe that white storks now use it over winter to save them the bother of crossing to Africa. I don't know about what the vultures do.

That photo was taken about 100m along the track to the left of the entrance to the tip. The track widens slightly there so you can park the car and then look past the buildings towards the tip void.

I thought I had already posted this but I can´t find it.The majority of the birds,if not flying are located some 300 metres from both tracks left and right of the entrance.If you wish closer ground views follow the left track up and behind the hill where after about 500 meters you will come to a gate on the right.Park the car off the road and then walk to the other side of the field where you will come to the back of the tip with good views from the hill above into the working part of the tip.In strong westerlies the vultures come across the field at head hight.Do not block the gated entrance when you park.It is quite a hike but i can drag myself with scope across the field and there is a track to walk on.Try it and enjoy. Eddy

Thanks guys, will give this a go.
Not liking the look of the weather next week though! Fingerd crossed for sun.

Oli,for the weather I use the Norwiegan site YR:NO.Just type in the location you want and the you get a three day hour by hour or a full 10 day forcast with wind speed and direction.You can select multiple locations,might see you somewhere this week. Eddy.

I was at the tip this morning 0800 and after seeing 100's of black kite coming over the house yesterday,it was no surprise to see 100's if not over 1000 est.sitting on the buildings, lamp posts and low trees.100+ white storks also on the tip but not one vulture which was a surprise.Yesterday was a force 7 westerly in the Strait but the kites still came over it was wonderful to see the way the coped with the wind. Eddy

Hi Eddy, I have read with interest your route description. I have been there a few times but always thought was a bit far away from the action. The path you mention at the gate going to the left of the entrance sounds interesting. But do you actually enter the iron gate (the one after 500m to the left) to walk through the field right up to the right as I thought that would be a problem, beeing private property?
Thanks for the info. Perry

Yes,it could be a problem,it could be private property or it could be as most of the area,belong to the Los Barrios municipality and therefore is public land.I have not had any problems accessing this site and I have found that in other areas if challenged a quick explanation will suffice but not always.I will make some enquiries into this and let you know.Obviously the tip itself is out of bounds as is the area past the weighbridge to the right marked by the signs Carmin.This is of course for safety reasons and you will be told politely to go elsewhere.Regards.....Eddy

Just in case anyone's still unsure where the rubbish tip can be found, I've attached a map of its location taken from my notes on the area. c) indicates the gates of the tip & d) a less smelly viewpoint,

Attachments

• Los Barrios Map March 2014.png
    Los Barrios Map March 2014.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 118
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back