• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost sound on Win10 (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Suddenly I have no audio on my recently installed Win 10. It was working after installation then suddenly, not. I thought my old speakers had packed up so binned them and bought new but it hasn't fixed the issue, I've probably thrown away good speakers!

If I click on the search function, and type 'system sounds' I get a prompt to 'audios services not running' and an option 'would you like to enable the Windows audio service', so I click on that. There are various settings and options but nothing I do works. So I look at various youtube 'fixes', I see that they generally have a speaker icon visible which I don't?

Looks like a trip to the repair man.

All kinds of things could cause that. Favourite would be a Windows update (these generally happen behind the scenes and can cause havoc). First stop is control panel, hardware (or whatever it's called), to see if windows thinks there's sounds hardware installed, and, if so, what state it thinks it's in

All kinds of things could cause that. Favourite would be a Windows update (these generally happen behind the scenes and can cause havoc). First stop is control panel, hardware (or whatever it's called), to see if windows thinks there's sounds hardware installed, and, if so, what state it thinks it's in
Thanks,
the only thing I keep encountering is the message that the Windows audio services are not running, this message also shows when I hold the curser over the l;ittle speaker icon at bottom right.

I got this message on my latest attempt at solving the issue.

1624359297331.png

Have you tried shutting down and re-starting Andy. That can often fix issues.

Don't be too quick to open up any processes like your browser. Just give it a minute or two to settle.

The audio on my laptop frequently doesn't work after a Windows update. Shutting down the computer and restarting fixes it. Sometimes it takes multiple cycles to correct it. It also seems to work better if I shut down and then restart rather than just restarting.

How about going to your Win 10 search function box and entering: services

When the Services box appears look for 'Windows Audio'. Is it Running? Is it 'Automatic'

1624360678713.png

If not then double click on that line to open another pop-up box. Make the 'Startup type': Automatic and 'Start' the Service.
1624360831702.png

Just a thought to try.

The audio on my laptop frequently doesn't work after a Windows update. Shutting down the computer and restarting fixes it. Sometimes it takes multiple cycles to correct it. It also seems to work better if I shut down and then restart rather than just restarting.
Yes, I've found that too. At one time it used to Mute my speakers and I was unable to reset that, just had to shut down and start again with fingers crossed. Sometimes, after an hour or so working away, it would suddenly remove the cross and the speakers worked again without me doing anything.

It went on like that for about 3 months. Then it was the turn of NumLock, turned that off, most annoying as I didn't notice when typing passwords which weren't accepted grrrr..... there were other oddities too, which I've forgotten now. Oh yes, the shift key wouldn't work on one side.

Very frustrating.

How about going to your Win 10 search function box and entering: services

When the Services box appears look for 'Windows Audio'. Is it Running? Is it 'Automatic'

View attachment 1392297

If not then double click on that line to open another pop-up box. Make the 'Startup type': Automatic and 'Start' the Service.
View attachment 1392298

Just a thought to try.
Thanks for this John,
got all the way and failed with an error message 0x80070005 Access is denies.

Of the two components my system identified as being required to work, the audio service isn't but 'audio endpoint builder' is functioning?

Have you tried shutting down and re-starting Andy. That can often fix issues.

Don't be too quick to open up any processes like your browser. Just give it a minute or two to settle.
Hi Delia,
I close my system every night and restart in the morning, audio has been down for about a week.

LOL so do I Andy, I still had to shut down and re-start it when I was having those problems. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

But it looks like it won't work with your problem.

Thanks for this John,
got all the way and failed with an error message 0x80070005 Access is denies.

Of the two components my system identified as being required to work, the audio service isn't but 'audio endpoint builder' is functioning?
Maybe it's a permission thing. Make sure you're doing it as an admin user.

Hi Delia,
I close my system every night and restart in the morning, audio has been down for about a week.
I'm on Windows 8.1 and am unfamiliar with 10, but this might be relevant. Quote:

"A shutdown in Windows 8 or 10 is not really a shut down, the state of RAM is written to the hard disk and then read back into RAM when you start your system again.

Basically it is like the hibernation process in previous versions of Windows. So if there is a fault, that will be read back into RAM when your system starts again

Whereas a Restart does actually clear RAM and does not read the state of Windows. That is why in Windows 8 and 10 a restart takes a lot longer than turning off and back on your PC

Most people do not know the value of restarting (not shutting down) Windows 10 form time to time, it is actually a really healthy thing to do for a Windows 10 PC".

You may be well aware of this, but it seemed worth mentioning.

I can't log in as admin, found various 'how to' vids but my system seems to be missing some 'shared folders'.
As before, type: services but instead of just <Enter> try <Ctrl + Shift + Enter> to run as admin.
See if that makes any difference.
It may be that you have more issues going on / some corruption or something untoward has happened somewhere/sometime.

As before, type: services but instead of just <Enter> try <Ctrl + Shift + Enter> to run as admin.
See if that makes any difference.
It may be that you have more issues going on / some corruption or something untoward has happened somewhere/sometime.
My hard drive was recently wiped to put 10 on and it was working fine - until it wasn't.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back