• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost species of Sparrows ( maybe ) (1 Viewer)

Hi my name is Tom i am from London ,i have only today joined your forum
i live currently in amsterdam netherlands,.... i have a curious question of which maybe some one could help me on,,, that is a long time ago in the late 1980s i visited some friends in the north of germany , and i was suprised to find that a species of sparrow of which i found so interesting were just the same as our common house sparrow only difference being that they had a spiked form of feather which protruded from the top of there heads ,
They were locally called THE KAISER SPATZE or Kaiser sparrow for pretty obvious reasons
Now i was back in northern germany recently and theres not a sparrow to be SEEN !!! neither house or kaiser sparrow
i would be very happy to know what has happened ,to these lovely Birds ???

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)
I hope you get some answers to your thoughts.

They must have been Crested Larks, which used to be common in towns.
They have completely disappeared from northern Germany: now they only occur in a small area in the southwest and in eastern Germany.
I cannot find the name you heard (the official name is "Haubenlerche"), but it makes sense!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back