• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loud bird outside window (1 Viewer)

I cant really do those things since this is a two storey house, it would be a real struggle.
The one about the hawk sticker I could possibly try though :) thanks @Nutcracker
Also, I like your idea too @PYRTLE, but I think playing noise to stop the bird from making noise is a bit contradictory haha. Thanks though :)

On the psychiatry theme, try to get some pics of the bird, then we can find out for sure what it is. Knowing it better will make it more familiar, which in turn makes it more welcome, less 'threatening'; once the sound is familiar ("ah, hello my old friend again"), it won't bother you so much, and you'll sleep through it more easily :t:

On the psychiatry theme, try to get some pics of the bird, then we can find out for sure what it is. Knowing it better will make it more familiar, which in turn makes it more welcome, less 'threatening'; once the sound is familiar ("ah, hello my old friend again"), it won't bother you so much, and you'll sleep through it more easily :t:

Or you could just 'man up', it's a bird for god's sake not a pneumatic drill, I despair sometimes at stuff like this, it seems that there are people who want to live in the countryside but bird song is a nuisance!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if this thread is a wind up or not.........

Last edited:
Or you could just 'man up', it's a bird for god's sake not a pneumatic drill, I despair sometimes at stuff like this, it seems that there are people who want to live in the countryside but bird song is a nuisance!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if this thread is a wind up or not.........

Are you being kidding me? Just because it's a bird does not mean I like it waking me up at 5 am every single morning... how would you feel if someone was shouting outside your window at 5 in the morning? It's the same thing. Noise is noise and it will wake you up. I get that this is a bird forum so you obviously must love birds considering you have over 14,000 posts, but I'm just a guy trying to get some damn sleep!

You obviously think bird songs are nice and so do I, but have you ever had a bird singing 10 feet away from you as loud as it can as you are sleeping? Obviously not since you seem to think this is one big joke. Shame on you.

Are you being kidding me? Just because it's a bird does not mean I like it waking me up at 5 am every single morning... how would you feel if someone was shouting outside your window at 5 in the morning? It's the same thing. Noise is noise and it will wake you up. I get that this is a bird forum so you obviously must love birds considering you have over 14,000 posts, but I'm just a guy trying to get some damn sleep!

You obviously think bird songs are nice and so do I, but have you ever had a bird singing 10 feet away from you as loud as it can as you are sleeping? Obviously not since you seem to think this is one big joke. Shame on you.

I do, it's laughable and I'm surprsied you've not had a reply like mine already.

I have a Thrush Nightingale which sings ALL NIGHT outside my bedroom and a Pied Flycatcher less than 10 feet from my bed which sings and calls all day, especially when the eggs have hatched, ear plugs fall out indeed, shame on you mate...........

Last edited:
I do, it's laughable and I'm surprsied you've not had a reply like mine already.

I have a Thrush Nightingale which sings ALL NIGHT outside my bedroom and a Pied Flycatcher less than 10 feet from my bed which sings and calls all day, especially when the eggs have hatched, ear plugs fall out indeed, shame on you mate...........

I came here to get actual help, not some kind of d*** measuring contest on who's bird sings the loudest and longest. If you are going to patronise me instead of actually helping, then ignore this thread and go to a different one.

I came here to get actual help, not some kind of d*** measuring contest on who's bird sings the loudest and longest. If you are going to patronise me instead of actually helping, then ignore this thread and go to a different one.

to be fair to Andy, in the post immediately above the one you quote, you ask him

... but have you ever had a bird singing 10 feet away from you as loud as it can as you are sleeping? Obviously not ...

And he answered you. Its not a thing to lose it over, nor compare it to a body parts comparison competition. But you did ask.

Hope you get it sorted.
Harry

to be fair to Andy, in the post immediately above the one you quote, you ask him

... but have you ever had a bird singing 10 feet away from you as loud as it can as you are sleeping? Obviously not ...

And he answered you. Its not a thing to lose it over, nor compare it to a body parts comparison competition. But you did ask.

Hope you get it sorted.
Harry

Yes you're right, I'm sorry. I'm just annoyed with the "live in some harmony with nature", "man up", "it's laughable" and thinking this is just some big joke. I came to this BIRD forum to get some help with this problem I'm having, but it seems like it was the exact OPPOSITE of what I should have done. People here are too in love with birds and would rather suffer themselves and see other people suffer if it means the birds can do whatever they want.
(That being said, there have been a couple of people who tried to help at least.)

Unfortunately it is that time of year, I am awoken at 3.30 every morning by a truck, and at 4 by blackbirds etc. At night it is the owls, until late, followed by the boy racer on his way home after work at 12.30. It is a small village, I know the truck driver and the boy racer, but other than awakening me they're fine people.

The birds, well, yes I do like birds, but even I open the window and tell woodpigeons to f*** off sometimes.

When its bad, I use my earplugs, and find these work for me
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpine-SleepSoft-Ear-Plugs-Hypoallergenic/dp/B00REAQT8Q/ref=dp_ob_title_ce or my noise canceling buds I use when flying.

Sleep well
H

Dont you get the Hercules, Ospreys and occasional fighter jets over you're way? Have them overhead and low routinely but our village is a waypoint and the local airfields training areas. Even though I love military stuff I get confused at 0130hrs whether to swear, switch on the scanner or get my bins out...... one pair in the kitchen, one pair on bedroom windowsill ( owls etc, I swear ).

Am used to scrabblings of Starlings and House Sparrows under bedroom pantiles but cr*pp*d myself when a Barn Owl started calling / hissing at some unearthly hour, particularly as I was dreaming of wallpapering with Kirsty Allsop!

Blame the Statins.

Last edited:
Dont you get the Hercules, Ospreys and occasional fighter jets over you're way? Have them overhead and low routinely ...

Blame the Statins.

Yes, Yes and Yes as well as Military and Rescue Helicopters. The new jets out of Marham use the barracks 1/2 mile up the way as a turn point, but bizzarely they rarely wake me.

Barn owl on the cooker vent is a underwear ruiner of major proportions, I agree, and why the heck foxes can't procreate quietly I really don't know.

But I used to be in Vauxhall, London, just up from the Fire Service Headquaters, and the occasional machinery is nothing compared to that.

Did I mention Norwich (International, no less) Airport flightpath if the wind is being awkward, but its all part of life's rich tapestry.

AND BONUS NOISE from the Red Arrows en route to various destinations each year, about 15 times since we've been here.

And we get birds here too:t:

Ref 'blame the statins' was talking to my medical professional on that, just this morning... They should have warned us about getting older

Last edited:
We have the big Sikorsky Choppers flying over us (right over us) all the time,, very low, well below 500ft, including night flights.

Unfortunately it is that time of year, I am awoken at 3.30 every morning by a truck, and at 4 by blackbirds etc. At night it is the owls, until late, followed by the boy racer on his way home after work at 12.30. It is a small village, I know the truck driver and the boy racer, but other than awakening me they're fine people.

The birds, well, yes I do like birds, but even I open the window and tell woodpigeons to f*** off sometimes.

When its bad, I use my earplugs, and find these work for me
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpine-SleepSoft-Ear-Plugs-Hypoallergenic/dp/B00REAQT8Q/ref=dp_ob_title_ce or my noise canceling buds I use when flying.

Sleep well
H

Thank you, I will try and see if these will work :)

Dont you get the Hercules, Ospreys and occasional fighter jets over you're way? Have them overhead and low routinely but our village is a waypoint and the local airfields training areas. Even though I love military stuff I get confused at 0130hrs whether to swear, switch on the scanner or get my bins out...... one pair in the kitchen, one pair on bedroom windowsill ( owls etc, I swear ).

Am used to scrabblings of Starlings and House Sparrows under bedroom pantiles but cr*pp*d myself when a Barn Owl started calling / hissing at some unearthly hour, particularly as I was dreaming of wallpapering with Kirsty Allsop!

Blame the Statins.

Haha no. It's always been very quiet here thankfully, and have never had any issues with the birds before this either. I should count myself lucky that this is the first major time this kind of thing has happened (bar the neighbours, but that's only very occasionally). Probably why this early awakening is affecting me so much.

We have the big Sikorsky Choppers flying over us (right over us) all the time,, very low, well below 500ft, including night flights.

Sorry about earlier, I was fairly annoyed by the comment and so couldn't resist the urge to lash out, though I shouldn't use that as an excuse. So again, sorry about that.

No harm BB. Trust me, he's a really good lad and will always help you out. With him in Goa when his perfectly delivered clever one liner absolutely creased me up and still does to this day.

Good luck with some kip bud.

Do you have an iPhone (or similar)? Download a white noise app and see if that helps. Works for me, when I'm travelling; at home, we run an air cleaner all night, and nothing outside the house disturbs us. Neighbors complain all the time about helicopters, power tools, etc, and we sleep like babies. (And before we discovered air cleaners, we used a fan, which worked well too.)

Do you have an iPhone (or similar)? Download a white noise app and see if that helps. Works for me, when I'm travelling; at home, we run an air cleaner all night, and nothing outside the house disturbs us. Neighbors complain all the time about helicopters, power tools, etc, and we sleep like babies. (And before we discovered air cleaners, we used a fan, which worked well too.)

I always use a fan at night on the highest setting for the background noise, to drown out any irregular noises from outside. I even sometimes use a potable AC that's around 65-70 dB.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back