• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Louis Étienne Thirioux (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Does anyone know mor about the date and place of birth of Louis Étienne Thirioux?

Hume 2011. Systematics, morphology, and ecology of pigeons and doves (Aves: Columbidae) of the Mascarene Islands, with three new species. Zootaxa 3124: 1-62. [preview]

The exact provenance of the two associated dodo skeletons collected in the vicinity of Port Louis, Mauritius, around the turn of the 19th century is shrouded in mystery, as well as their collector, the amateur naturalist and barber Louis Etienne Thirioux (1846–1917).

Till now I could find only 1846 and France. At the moment I am not even sure how above criticized article came to the conclusion 1846.

Last edited:
Does anyone know mor about the date and place of birth of Louis Étienne Thirioux?

Till now I could find only 1846 and France. At the moment I am not even sure how above criticized article came to the conclusion 1846.

Maybe you might contact Dr. Julian Hume or the Natural History Museum in London. It is known that Thirioux had a correspondence with Alfred Newton and Hans Gadow. Maybe it is also possible to contact the Royal Society of Mauritius.

Also worth a look is "the Thirioux skeleton", which, of course isn´t a skeleton of Mr. Etienne Thirioux himself, but of the Dodo/s he found (here) ... even if nothing is added to the etymology.

Quite fascinating.

Björn

PS. Martin, I guess you´ve seen this one (here):
Louis Etienne Thirioux est de ceux-là, né en France, il immigra à Maurice à l’âge de 24 ans.
Or here alt. here.
--

Last edited:
There is a text on Thirioux in the publication:

Halais, L. 1942. Thirioux, Louis Etienne; pp. 222–223 in A. Toussaint (ed.), Dictionnaire de biographie mauricienne. Esclapon, Port Louis, Mauritius. (cited in the paper (PROVENANCE AND HISTORY OF THE THIRIOUX DODOS) by Claessens & Hume, 2015).

SITE DES ARCHIVES HISTORIQUES ET GÉNÉALOGIQUES: archives-loiret.fr (here)

It´s all in French (I´m lost) ... but, good luck, Martin!

That is quiet an effort to go through all Commune ou paroisse with Type Type d'actes naissance and Année(s) 1846 here. And hopefully Mr. Hume is correct with his information.

That is quiet an effort to go through all Commune ou paroisse with Type Type d'actes naissance and Année(s) 1846 here. And hopefully Mr. Hume is correct with his information.
A Louis Étienne Thirioux, son of Étienne Louis Thirioux, tailor, and Julie Victoire Thion, his wife, was born on 18 March 1846 in Saint-Aignan-le-Jaillard, Loiret. (Image 17/47 in [this].)

(I tried searching Geneanet to see which communes were associated to the name and checked these; found it at the 4th attempt. ;) It may be a bit harder to exclude entirely the possibility of a samesake, though -- this region appears to be the stronghold of the name 'Thirioux', and 'Louis' and 'Étienne' were certainly quite frequent given names back then.)

Last edited:
(I tried searching Geneanet to see which communes were associated to the name and checked these; found it at the 4th attempt. ;) It may be a bit harder to exclude entirely the possibility of a samesake, though -- this region appears to be the stronghold of the name 'Thirioux', and 'Louis' and 'Étienne' were certainly quite frequent given names back then.)

Well done Laurent. Even if Louis and Étienne are very common names at that time I think in context with the year 1846 you may only find this Louis Étienne Thirioux. But there is of course a small rest doubt.

@Laurent. Thank you so much for your research. I was near to contact the birth register in Loiret. But now you have solved the puzzle.

There is one sentence in the Claessens/Hume paper that makes me confused:

"He arrived on Mauritius when young, later married
Julie Thion, and in 1870 worked in Brangeon, a fashionable hairdresser
in the capital, Port Louis"

Does it mean that Thirioux's wife and his mother shared the same name? (I've got the original text by Halais today. He also state that Thirioux was the son of Étienne Louis Thirioux and Julie Thion

There is one sentence in the Claessens/Hume paper that makes me confused:

"He arrived on Mauritius when young, later married
Julie Thion, and in 1870 worked in Brangeon, a fashionable hairdresser
in the capital, Port Louis"

Does it mean that Thirioux's wife and his mother shared the same name? (I've got the original text by Halais today. He also state that Thirioux was the son of Étienne Louis Thirioux and Julie Thion

Just got a message from Dr. Hume:

I think a mistake has been made here on our part. Julie Thion was his mother and not his wife, so the vague references to his private life that we referenced are also confused. It may be that he was a bachelor.
Thanks for sorting out this issue.

It might be of interest that Thirioux was one of the keenest collectors during the early paleontological exploration in Mauritius (besides Theodore Sauzier and Paul Carié). Findings in the account of Thirioux include:

Pteropus sp., Anas sp., Aphanapteryx
bonasia, Dryolimnas cuvieri, Fulica newtoni, Falco punctatus,
Circus maillardi, cf. Nesoenas picturata, Alectroenas nitidissima,
Lophopsittacus mauritianus, Lophopsittacus sp., Necropsittacus
rodericanus, Nesoenas mayeri, Psittacula echo, Psittacula
bensoni, Mascarenotus sauzieri, cf. Mascarenotus murivorus,
“Courlis ou Corbigeau” (curlew), “Oiseau mouche,”37 Aves indet.
(including passerines), Cylindraspis inepta, Cylindraspis triserrata,
Asterochelys radiata, Leiolopisma mauritiana, Leiolopisma telfairii,
Gongylomorphus bojeri, Cyrtodactylus serpensinsula, Phelsuma
guentheri, Phelsuma sp., Anura sp., Naso sp., Trophidophora
carinata, and Plegma duponti.

(cited from Jolyon C. Parish: The Dodo and the Solitaire, p 363)

He collected also the holotype of the Mauritius Starling (Cryptopsar ischyrhynchus), the most complete skeleton of the red rail (Aphanapteryx bonasia) and the last two specimens of the Rodrigues day gecko (Phelsuma edwardnewtoni) shortly before the extinction of this gecko species and his own death in 1917.

Thirioux is commemorated in at least four species:

Thirioux's grey parrot or Mascarene grey parakeet (Ptittacula bensoni)
Mauritius wood-pigeon (Columba thiriouxi)
Copelatus thiriouxi, a beetle from Mauritius
Erepta thiriouxi, a mollusc from Mauritius

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back