• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lovely afternoon at a reservoir ------- Spain (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bouvier

"No, that was a pigeon, not an eagle".
Spain
I had an enjoyable outing today with my family. We drove about 20 mins out of my hometown to go to a small-ish man-made reservoir called 'El embalse de Beninar'. I went yesterday for a short period, but it got too dark to see anything very good (apart from a Spanish ibex on the way home). Anyway, upon arriving I inmediately saw a pair of great crested grebes through my scope slowly drifting through the water. I was very pleased with this as it was a year tick.

Soon after several linnets perched on a fence just down the hill, and a couple wintering black redstarts were seen resting on a wall. There wasn't much more regarding waterbirds, apart from 2 mallards and 7 great cormorants. Several red-legged partridges were heard in the distance.

A nice surprise was when a eurasian hoopoe jumped out of the undergrowth, flashing it's wonderful pied wings. I tried to photograph it but they are always very jumpy round here so it promptly flew away, leaving me rather dissatisfied.

After a cup of tea we decided to move to the other side of the reservoir, and whilst packing up the car a nearby iberian green woodpecker was heard calling it's loud and agitated burst of notes. On the other side of the reservoir we got a better look at a grebe and several of the cormorants, as well as spotting 2 blue rock thrush (one of which was a female feeding on the ground) and a black wheatear, which came surprisingly close.

And that was it! On the drive home I saw a stonechat and a magpie and about 5 rabbits.

Thanks for reading!

J.B.

Sound like you had a good day outing with the family. It's always great to come across a variety of birds ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back