• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lowest magnification barlow? (1 Viewer)

With my current setup I'm covered from 25x-96x, and 133x-267x. The intent of the low power barlow is to fill the gap between between 97x-132x. IF the Nagler zoom worked in the scope without the extender it would cover 83x-167x, which would be perfect.

Just remembered why don't you get a second Kowa extender and get 64-154x with the Kowa Zoom? It would result on much higher image quality than the Nagler zoom with a barlow and the extender, with the wider AFOVs as bonus...
Yves wasn't happy using 2 extenders 2 extenders with the Kowa zoom but most probably his scope sample is much inferior to yours - if you find useful the 133-267x zoom range, you will be much happier with the 2 extenders with the Kowa zoom!;)

That Kowa zoom looks impressive.....just read a 3 year old review on CN.

Both are really nice in a good body. From what we heard in here, the few examples of Meopta scopes have been good while some lemons were found among the larger number of Kowa 880 series scopes that people have written about in here...

Joachim

Just remembered why don't you get a second Kowa extender and get 64-154x with the Kowa Zoom? It would result on much higher image quality than the Nagler zoom with a barlow and the extender, with the wider AFOVs as bonus...
Yves wasn't happy using 2 extenders 2 extenders with the Kowa zoom but most probably his scope sample is much inferior to yours - if you find useful the 133-267x zoom range, you will be much happier with the 2 extenders with the Kowa zoom!;)
This was actually my original plan until a Kowa rep talked me out of it. I shouldn't say talked me out of it, but he said start with one and adjust from there. I had completely forgotten about this option until you brought it back up, so thank you!

The only real downside to this is the extender can only be used with the Kowa scope, whereas an eyepiece can be transferred to a telescope should you ever decide to go that route. If you plan to stick with the Kowa only, then the "downside" is irrelevant, and the extender is definitely the best choice!

I think for the time being I'm just going to be happy with what I've got and stop worrying about what I don't.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back