• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loxops coccineus wolstenholmei: More info on Edward 'Ted' Wolstenholme, assistant bird-collector with Rothschild team in Hawaii, 1890s (1 Viewer)

Just posting some info relate to previous old threads I'm going to free-flow here, hopefully I'll be reasonably accurate! I'm surprised that 'Ted' is England born, as he was a good friend of George Munro, a New Zealander who accompanied H. C. Palmer (HCP) to the Hawaiian islands in December 1889. He met Palmer while Palmer was collecting for Rothschild in New Zealand. Cambridge Uni was stalled in bureaucracy while trying to engage a collector (eventually R.C. Perkins) and Palmer/Munro accepted Rothschild's request to head immediately to Oahu.

Eventually their business relationship soured and Munro's 12 month renewal of contract was declined by him (he was heading back to NZ to get married, as well). Munro recommended Wolstenholme as his replacement. And so, Wolstenholme and HCP became the new collecting team for Rothschild on Hawaii.

When Wolstenholme collected the soon to be named 'akepa Loxops coccineus wolstenholmei (1893), it was witnessed by RC Perkins - the Cambridge collector who was supposed to be competing against HCP and Wolstenholme. And that's another story.

Alfred Newton was convinced that the new find was actually Bloxam's Loxops coccineus rufa (1826) (HMS Blonde, Lord Byron expedition) - publicly casting doubts on Rothschild's new to science species - certainly not an unusual occurrence between the rivals at the time. Newton examined Bloxam's taxa, which still exists today, as do the Ferdinand Deppe & JK Townsend examples collected on Oahu in 1837.

More than 120 years later, the Oahu 'akepa species was separated as a third species and the 'rufa' relegated as a synonym of Loxops wolstenholmei.

This means that Ted discovered a species that had not been collected for science for more than 50 years and Rothschild's correct description of the bird and its true endemic location took precedence over naturalist and clergyman Bloxam's account.

The wonderful photo of Ted and his Mamo was likely taken by HCP. Ted was very proud of his association with the capture of the live bird ('as if somebody had sent my two bottles of whisky up'), albeit as a witness to a local birdcatcher (Ahulan) and his son whom had been contracted by HCP. Incidentally HCP was laid up in bed after being 'kicked by a horse' and missed one of the most astonishing ornithological moments of the 19th century.
After the picture was taken, Rothschild and HCP deemed the quarry too valuable to keep in case of escape and HCP killed the bird and prepared it as a specimen. It remains today in pristine condition, its tag denoting 'caught by a local birdwatcher for H.C. Palmer.' Rothschild included Wolstenholme's account (referenced as Palmer's "assistant" of the capture in his Avifauna of Laysan and the neighbouring islands... (Part III,p160-161). It's a mesmerising account, quoted in 'layman's vocabulary.'

Copies were made of the Ted and Mamo photograph and Wolstenholme gave a copy of the photograph to Munro after he returned with his family to live and work on Lanai. This is the copy that survives today.

Happy to see more info on the elusive Wolstenholme, especially post-Hawaii expedition.

:oops:

Andrew, why the new thread?

What is "new" in this post/thread, compared to your reply in this thread ... ?

Why splitting it up? :unsure:

Just curious (and somewhat puzzled) ...

Björn

PS. As we've learnt before, it's always easier to keep any topic in as few threads as possible.
Simply to keep track on any progress.

Björn, a few days ago, I added to the thread that was over two years old. The system warned that it might be best to start a new thread due to the age of the previous postings. This is why I added an updated version of my post to a new thread.

At the grave risk of repeating myself, here is the new info and corrections I provided to the existing old thread in my two recent posts over the last few days:

• Wolstenholme was a good friend of George C. Munro
• Munro recommended to HC Palmer that Wolstenholme be his replacement
• Wolstenholme’s capture of the 'akepa Loxops coccineus wolstenholmei (1893) was witnessed by RCL Perkins
• Alfred Newton was convinced that the new find was actually Bloxam's Loxops coccineus rufa (1826) (HMS Blonde, Lord Byron expedition)
• Bloxam's taxa and Ferdinand Deppe & JK Townsend examples collected on Oahu in 1837 are additional extant taxa of the same Oahu species
• More than 120 years after Wolstenholme’s taxa collection, the Oahu 'akepa species was separated as a third species and the 'rufa' relegated as a synonym of Loxops wolstenholmei
• Rather than Wolstenholme finding a unique species, he had in fact found an existing species that had not been collected in over fifty years
• Rothschild's correct description of the bird and its true endemic location took precedence over naturalist and clergyman Bloxam's account
• The photo of Ted and his Mamo was likely taken by HC Palmer
• Rothschild included Wolstenholme's account of the capture of the Hawaii Mamo in his Avifauna of Laysan and the neighbouring islands... (Part III, p160-161)
• Wolstenholme gave a copy of the photograph to Munro after he returned with his family to live and work on Lanai - this is the copy that survives today

Björn, apologies if I disrupted your systematic order of things. I was just trying to ensure that the new info was visible in the hope that more insight on Wolstenholme might come forward from this community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back