• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Lynx and Tawny Owls (1 Viewer)

Carpathian Ed

I love the lynx. Some can be much bigger than people expect. It always blows my mind that a single lynx eats around 60 roe deer per year

jurek

New season, new surprise. What can top seeing a lynx up close? Seeing a lynx hunting deer up close!

Yesterday after work I went for a cycle ride in the forest. I wore a red t-shirt, no bins, nothing. This is a suburban area, where lots of people go walking, making bonfire, cycling, jogging etc. Therefore animals are rather tame. Roe deer upon seeing you run some tens of meters and stop. When you are cycling or jogging, they just freeze in the undergrowth and watch you. People pass them without noticing. If they were running away from man, the deer would run into a next man and again and again, and would never rest.

I was driving along a field and noticed a big dog-sized animal sitting in the grass. No, it cannot be... then the animal crouched down in a very agile way, and I knew it. It was a lynx. The question was how to approach it. II driven round the field, past the lynx. It was crouching in the grass, expecting that I pass by without noticing, like most people do. Without looking at it, I calmly took the mobile phone and started making pictures. After some time the lynx realized it was seen, so got up and walked into the nearby forest, along the bicycle path. A fit and rather sexy woman passes me, jogging, saying the obligate 'Grüetzi'. I wonder if I should warn hear about the lynx, but decide not to. I drive slowly to the forest, and see the lynx sitting in the underground near the path. It got up and walked further.

I caught up with it some tens of meters afterwards, and to my amazement, it was not standing, but in a stalking position. It moved slowly... What? Then a Roe Deer moved in bushes before it. I could only do one thing – stand still and film on my mobile. The deer however noticed the lynx. It dashed forward, screaming in panic. I lost the lynx in the meantime. I caught up with it some tens of meters further. It was resting on the ground. It licked its fur several times, looked at me again, decided that I will not go away, so stood up and walked away into the undergrowth down a steep forested slope. It was getting darker, and I driven around on minor tracks. But I did not see it again.

Here are two films from my mobile phone. I hope you can see the stalking lynx on the second film in the first 7 seconds or so. Its legs and tail are visible at the lower left, to the right of the piece of white trash, before the camera moves to the deer.

I wondered if this is the same lynx as last year. Looking at the pattern of black patches on its front left leg, i think not. I attribute its lack of fear to the fact, that the local forests are full of walkers, joggers and mountain bikers, who pass by without paying attention to wildlife, and a good population of unafraid Roe Deer.

Attachments

• 20210819_201442.jpg
    20210819_201442.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread