• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

M50 for bird! (2 Viewers)

flossiepip

Hi, I've never used anything other than MFT kit for birds and have been generally very happy with the system though poor light and high iso use are an issue. But I do have the little Canom M50 that I use for macro and as I have the camera and lens adapter for Canon full frame lenses it seems to me that I could use this small camera to find out if going for a different system would work for me, its just an issue of lens. So would something like a Sigma 100-400 work on this camera to help me find out!

It is my impression that the M50 is an old camera with a poor BIF focusing system (I have not tried to check back right now on the quality of focusing so I might be wrong). Therefore, this might not be the most fair canon system to use to compare with current m4/3 (I assume that is what you are using). Having said that, for a lens that could give you a reach similar to what a 300 mm M4/3 lens would do with your current system, this lens should work.

Please note that your M50 is an APC camera while it seems that the current crop of canon mirrorless are full frame. Therefore, the relative reach would be different if you upgrade to those cameras.

Niels

It is my impression that the M50 is an old camera with a poor BIF focusing system (I have not tried to check back right now on the quality of focusing so I might be wrong). Therefore, this might not be the most fair canon system to use to compare with current m4/3 (I assume that is what you are using). Having said that, for a lens that could give you a reach similar to what a 300 mm M4/3 lens would do with your current system, this lens should work.

Please note that your M50 is an APC camera while it seems that the current crop of canon mirrorless are full frame. Therefore, the relative reach would be different if you upgrade to those cameras.

Niels
Thank you Niels. I use the Panasonic G85 with the 100-400 lens, love the G85 but would never try BIF shots. I am more a macro shooter and that's what I use the M50 for and its great for macro. Charming little camera and I have it sitting there so would like to give it a try and test the water first before a big outlay!

For slower moving birds, the G85-PL100-400 combo is definitely capable of some bif shots.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back