• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Macro that has me struggling (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I feel I should know this one but I'm very rusty. It doesn't seem quite right for knot grass - and there's only the merest hint of the two round 'oval' marks. Nearest I can get to is poplar grey but it doesn't look quite right either.

Attachments

• possible knot grass ex IMG_17914_edited.jpg
    possible knot grass ex IMG_17914_edited.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 24

Paul Chapman

Not Knot Grass & without the obvious pale area in forewing of Poplar Grey. Wing a bit foreshortened in the pic? Sycamore for me. It should be quite large. Poplar Grey from Sycamore easier in life. A friend always comments on the lack of discernible field markings between the two.

All the best

Paul

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I've never had sycamore; and definitely not had scarce dagger. One for the CR, I think. If it is a rarity, he'll be upset I released it. (I found it on the wall of our house in daytime, not at a trapping session.) It wasn't a large moth - and I don't think it's foreshortened. I'd say it was roughly the size of a typical knot grass.

Users who are viewing this thread