• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Made it worse not better (2 Viewers)

volker sthamer

Supporter
I have been absent for a while and returning I was surprised by the new design of the Birdforum site. I went in detail through it and I can only say: a modern clearly laid out site with nicely interlinked and comprehensive processes and great new functions - Excellent! My congratulations to the Team!

One suggestion. It would be nice if media posters would be requested to indicate the name of the country where the photo was taken. Often only small towns are mentioned. For example "Preston Marina" were is that?

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I have been absent for a while and returning I was surprised by the new design of the Birdforum site. I went in detail through it and I can only say: a modern clearly laid out site with nicely interlinked and comprehensive processes and great new functions - Excellent! My congratulations to the Team!

One suggestion. It would be nice if media posters would be requested to indicate the name of the country where the photo was taken. Often only small towns are mentioned. For example "Preston Marina" were is that?
I do so agree with you Volker. And state/country abbreviations are not always known to people in other parts of the world, and searching the Gallery can't usually be done on them.

snowyowl

The same thing applies in the Bird Id. section. Far too many people don't say where the bird was. I t should be in the thread title. The one thing that I would like to see back was the autofill in the Gallery. It used to fill in my location and camera information so that I didn't have to type it in each time.

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
The same thing applies in the Bird Id. section. Far too many people don't say where the bird was. I t should be in the thread title. The one thing that I would like to see back was the autofill in the Gallery. It used to fill in my location and camera information so that I didn't have to type it in each time.
Good point!

Would it be possible to include a 'compulsory' data entry point requiring the addition of a location name before a new thread can be posted?

Andy Adcock

England
Ditto.

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I find now that Bird Forum has really in my opinion gone like lots of other forums that I've seen on the internet and not all are wildlife forums as lots of other forums on other subjects have gone the same way and what the administrators have said before those changes they would be improvements. But they weren't, in fact they where retrograde steps. With most other forums as well as on here, now have less information. One other well known Bird Forum was even worse than this change and sadly lots of long standing members of that other wild bird forum have sadly left over the last 2 years or more. And lots of forums appear to be going more downmarket as well and sadly that seems to be the way for the future on most forums now and it’s not something i like to see. But it is popular for lots of members in those forums. So those like me will have to accept all these changes, I'm afraid.
Ian.

Last edited:

Steve

Surfing
Staff member
United Kingdom
I find now that Bird Forum has really in my opinion gone like lots of other forums that I've seen on the internet and not all are wildlife forums as lots of other forums on other subjects have gone the same way and what the administrators have said before those changes they would be improvements. But they weren't, in fact they where retrograde steps. With most other forums as well as on here, now have less information. One other well known Bird Forum was even worse than this change and sadly lots of long standing members of that other wild bird forum have sadly left over the last 2 years or more. And lots of forums appear to be going more downmarket as well and sadly that seems to be the way for the future on most forums now and it’s not something i like to see. But it is popular for lots of members in those forums. So those like me will have to accept all these changes, I'm afraid.
Ian.
Ian thanks for your feedback,can you please tell me what you find wrong with the new platform in a bit more detail? You have said it’s not as good as the old one, please be more specific so we can look at how to improve it .

thanks

Helen O

Anything that flies
As someone who pops up occasionally like a bad penny, and having been a member since circa 2003 on and off, I was somewhat surprised to see BF have moved away from vBulletin. That said, I quite like the new platform.

Change is often either resisted or disliked for perfectly normal reasons; we are creatures of habit, and change forces us out of our comfort zone.

The one thing I found irritating, was not being able to delete images in the gallery that were posted prior to the change over. I realise this is probably a tech issue, so understand if not much can be done about it.

First impressions are positive, however, I haven't looked at all the various elements such as Opus, etc so will reserve judgement about them until I have had a look. Once any bugs are resolved, it should serve its purpose quite nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread