Both Madeira and the Azores have several local subspecies. Some of these subspecies are named after people but a few remain unclear to me:
- Accipiter nisus granti (Madeira) - there are several people called Grant with birds named after them, which is the correct one in this case?
- Sturnus vulgaris granti (Azores) - same question here
- Motacilla cinerea schmitzi and Tyto alba schmitzi (both Madeira) - I think this ought to be Ernst Johann Schmitz, a german naturalist and priest, is this correct?
- Motacilla cinerea patriciae (Azores) - no idea here
- Buteo buteo harterti (Madeira) - after Ernst Johann Otto Hartert?
- Buteo buteo rothschildi (Azores) - after the Baron Rothschild of Tring?
- Fringilla coelebs moreletti (Azores) - named after Pierre Marie Arthur Morelet?