• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Madeira Swifts (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Hi all! There was an awful lot of swifts in Madeira; mostly Plain Swift I believe, but I was hoping I got at least some Pallid on my trip! I think these are my best candidates, do any of these look good for Pallid? All taken in mid-June 2022

Attachments

• P1630438.JPG
    P1630438.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 66
  • P1640325.JPG
    P1640325.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 67
  • P1640349.JPG
    P1640349.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 66
  • P1640501.JPG
    P1640501.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 62
  • P1640583.JPG
    P1640583.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 62
  • P1650199.JPG
    P1650199.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Could you give the dates, please? Thanks. Date is important for Atlantic-island swift records (and should be given for every ID).
These all have tails that are too deeply forked for pallid swift, so are presumably plain swift.

I only saw Plain Swifts last week, possibly a couple of Pallid's up at Pico do Arieiro.

Sorry to digress, have you done the Pelagic from Funchal harbour? If so wondered how you got on, especially if you did the Desertas Islands one.

Hi Wolf; unfortunately my pelagic trip (half-day pelagic with Madeira Wind Birds) was cancelled due to not enough bookings, so I ended up taking one of the generic tourist dolphin watching boats instead. Plenty of Cory's Shearwater in the bay and a brief glimpse of a Bulwer's Petrel, but it was all a bit tricky on a boat full of tourists with zero interest in birds!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back