• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

maderensis / madeirensis (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
Hi all,

The Atlantic island of Madeira is home to several endemic species and subspecies; many of them hold scientific names that are related to the name of this place, but there is one aspect in these scientific names that puzzles me:

The Madeiran Firecrest is called Regulus madeirensis.
The local race of Berthelot's Pipit is Anthus berthelotii madeirensis.

However, the Madeiran subspecies of Chaffinch is Fringilla coelebs maderensis. (it does not have an 'i').

This difference seems a bit illogical. Shouldn't there be some sort of uniformity in the demonyms relating to the same place? Can this situation be regarded as a misspelling? Perhaps it could be related to the way the type specimen was originally labelled?

Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Thanks.
Gonçalo

Fringilla coelebs maderensis ...

Gonçalo,
Simply because that´s the way it was originally described/written, by Sharpe in 1888*, as "Fringilla maderensis" (here, also written the same way on p.170); "Hab. Madeira"

However illogical, uniformity isn´t (always) an issue.

As simple as that!

Björn

____________________________________________________________________________________________
* in Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum, vol. 12 (1888), not in vol. "22", as claimed by Avibase today (which would have made it from 1893)

However illogical, uniformity isnt (always) an issue. As simple as that! Björn

I suspect Sheldon Cooper would be driven to distraction by the schizophrenic problem of opposing the idea that the original spelling, no matter how wrong, is given primacy, yet having to concede that his obsession with creating detailed rules on minor matters had met its match in nomenclatural primacy!;);)
MJB

"MJB", as I understand it, it´s not truly "wrong", as maderensis, maderense is used on several taxa; fishes, plants, birds, etc. (all from Madera, today's Madeira).

The Island is still called Madera, in Italian.

"MJB", as I understand it, it´s not truly "wrong", as maderensis, maderense is used on several taxa; fishes, plants, birds, etc. (all from Madera, today's Madeira).

The Island is still called Madera, in Italian.

Yes, I know, but I doubt if Sheldon would have known...!
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back