• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Madrid city-birding (1 Viewer)

Florin Chirila

I will be city-breaking in Madrid, October 31st to November 2nd. Can anyone please point me to a place where I can enjoy birding ?
I checked some older threads here but they don't really treat this particular time of the year, so I gladly welcome any hint.
...and if there is someone who would like to join me and show me birds&more, the meal and drink are on me :)

I will be staying very close to Parque del Retiro.

Thanks / Muchas gracias :)

Allen S. Moore

I will be staying very close to Parque del Retiro.

Thanks / Muchas gracias :)

Someone else will be along with more details soon, I am sure, but Parque del Retiro is good for a start. It certainly was in Jan 2013 when I was last there. Oh, I might as well add that a trip to Segovia (train or bus) is well worth it, with lots of raptors and 100s of red-billed choughs coming in to roost in the late afternoon.

Allen

simple

Inglorious Bustards
El Pardo Reserve is super and not far from the centre - Spanish Imperial Eagle can be encountered here amongst other great spp

Sangahyando

Someone else will be along with more details soon, I am sure, but Parque del Retiro is good for a start.
I'll second that, and it's in the middle of the city, too, close to several other interesting parks. I was there in Feburary and saw Hawfinch, Iberian Woodpecker (IIRC), Stock Doves, Monk Parakeets, a Red Squirrel, and quite a few other species.

El Pardo Reserve is super and not far from the centre - Spanish Imperial Eagle can be encountered here amongst other great spp
I've been there in December once and saw some Spanish Imperial Eagles, plenty of Griffon and Black Vultures, a Bonelli's Eagle, Cetti's Warbler, Spotless Starling, Corn Bunting, Cirl Bunting etc. I'd say it's well worth visiting at any time of the year, and probably better now than in December.
There's also several destinations around Madrid that sound very interesting (IIRC some are mentioned in the other threads); most of them are only really accessible via car, though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread