• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpie steals from Barn Owl mid-flight (1 Viewer)

Guesty

United Kingdom
I have a semi-regular barn owl visitor who does circuits of some nearby fields "most days" at dusk at the moment. First saw it in the Spring but he's become more frequent as Autumn sets in. He's quite a successful hunter - have seen him catch mice a few times now. But on Sunday I saw something for the first time. Late evening sunshine and he/she caught a mouse but as soon as it took off again a magpie came out of nowhere, chased it and snatched the mouse out of its mouth in mid-flight.

I apologise for the quality of the photo(s) it all happened over the other side of a field and I was hand-held at the time. Fortunately the owl is a trooper and came back later to make a more successful catch.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back