• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Making a hide clamp from a tripod. Can it be done? (1 Viewer)

mickledore

I have a Manfrotto tripod, and am principally a photographer. I'm not looking to get some dedicated spotting scope equipment, because that all seems to have different fittings to those on my camera/tripod setup.

What I was wondering is...is there anyway of using the removable central column of my Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod with a clamp type thingy? I'd need a clamp that holds onto hide shelves, but that also clamps round the column. Problem is that the column is not round, but a semi hexagonal and semi round shape. Good for use in tripod, but difficult to marry up with anything else.

Is there anything out there that I can use?

I made one out of an old tripood a few years back. Free! I can't show you a pic as it is my house in Spain! I clamp it to the balcony rail so I can watch the raptors go over, and the beer is closer!

The problem with using a hide clamp is they all depend on the strength of the shelf you fix them to. Very few hides have shelves that are strong enough to give good support to a camera with a long lens.

The best way to do it is to use a monopod with a clamp fixed to it. This way you have the clamp firmly fixed to the hide shelf and the leg of the monopod going down to the floor. It makes a really solid support.

I've made a few for friends. When I can remember where I bought the clamps that attach to the monopod from, I'll post a link to them.

Hi BarryH
The problem with using a hide clamp is they all depend on the strength of the shelf you fix them to. Very few hides have shelves that are strong enough to give good support to a camera with a long lens.

The best way to do it is to use a monopod with a clamp fixed to it. This way you have the clamp firmly fixed to the hide shelf and the leg of the monopod going down to the floor. It makes a really solid support.

I've made a few for friends. When I can remember where I bought the clamps that attach to the monopod from, I'll post a link to them.

Have you remembered yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back