• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malawi: Hawk-Eagle, Hyliota, Flycatcher, Buzzard ID (1 Viewer)

Semiramis

Hi,

The attached photos were made in November 2013 in Malawi.

Hawk-eagle
I think it is a juvenile African Hawk-Eagle, but just realized that juvenile Ayres Hawk-Eagle is another option, but still convinced that it is African. Can anyone confirm? Hawk-eagle photo taken in Mount Mulanje Massif.

Hyliota
Photo from Dzalanyama Forest in dull afternoon light (about 1 hour before dusk). Could not see whether the plumage was glossy or not. I think both hyliotas occur in Dzalanyama. First thought it was Yellow-bellied because the belly colour appears quite intense but the white wing patch seems to fit better with Southern/Mashona Hyliota

Flycatcher
Photo from Dzalanyama. I am pretty sure the flycatcher is Boehm's flycatcher.

Mystery Bird
Photo taken in Nkhoktakota Reserve (miombo and gallery forest)

Buzzard
On site I thought that this was a mountain buzzard but but it shouldn't occur in Dzalanyama where the photo was taken. So steppe buzzard after all??

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,

Sjef

Attachments

• DSC_0958 afr hawk eagle.jpg
    DSC_0958 afr hawk eagle.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0588 hyliota.jpg
    DSC_0588 hyliota.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0595 boehms fc.jpg
    DSC_0595 boehms fc.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0647 MYSTERY BIRD 1.jpg
    DSC_0647 MYSTERY BIRD 1.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0542 mt buzzard.jpg
    DSC_0542 mt buzzard.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 63
Let's start with the easy ones: you are correct with African hawk-eagle, Southern hyliota and Boehm's flycatcher.

I am not so sure the buzzard is a Steppe. Juv Moutain should seriuosly be considered I'd say.

The mistery bird is really...mysterious! A flycatcher perhaps? Any other pic?

Thanks very much for the feedback!

Very interesting about the buzzard, don't really see why mountain buzzard shouldn't be in Dzalanyama. I will check the trip reports again and see if I can find any reports on mountain buzzard in Dzalanyama.

Mystery Bird
I only have three pictures of the mystery bird (other two attached to this mail), these two photos have only been cropped but are otherwise unchanged. The first I sent was sharpened a little in Photoshop and I overexposed it 1.3 stops with the camera, because the first two (the ones attached now) seemed too dark.

I first thought it was a (smaller) woodland-dwelling pipit, but after checking the photos I also thought it was a juv flycatcher, but the photos are just too poor for me to make sense out of it. The large eyes and rather narrow bill make me lean towards a flycatcher, but really hard to say.

Sjef

PS will post a full trip report on Cloudbirds and mammalwatching.com in a couple of days.

Attachments

• DSC_0645 MYSTERY BIRD photo 2.jpg
    DSC_0645 MYSTERY BIRD photo 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0646 MYSTERY BIRD Photo 3.jpg
    DSC_0646 MYSTERY BIRD Photo 3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back